1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't you dare step into this booth woman!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How would having more female announcers improve the human condition? That really is the central question.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Mowins.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

No, that's why Suzyn Waldman shouldn't be in a broadcast booth.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

So why is it that women fill the majority of the sideline reporter roles now, but none in the booth. The sexist idea coming across of "put a pretty little thing down on the field, so coaches and players will feel awkward brushing her off."

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

First, they're not all pretty little things, you just notice the ones who are pretty little things. And second, they're not there so the players will feel awkward brushing them off, they're there so people will notice the pretty little things and stay tuned.

But this, from SFIND....
    ...you're joking, right? You do understand there are indeed women who want to work in the booth, and aren't finding opportunities?

Or could it be possible that all this time, the networks are searching endlessly for women to take these jobs but we're all at the mall or nail place?

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Thanks. Figured as much. From what I heard, she was good.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Ward probably draws more negative feelings because she seems to draw an endless loop of Minnesota-Northwestern type clunkers.

8. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

I don't have any problems with Pam Ward on football but it seems she's always getting that leadoff Big 10 game at 11 a.m. Central on ESPN2 such with any combination of Minnesota, Northwestern, Indiana and Illinois that isn't going to draw much interest. I'm more interested in the Big 12 Soon To Be Nine game on Fox Sports Net.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

For either gender, the halftime interview usually consists of "how'd you feel about the first half coach?" and "what adjustments do you need to make?" And, yes, there are some that are strictly eye candy, but so many more that can do work beyond that (Lesley Visser, Andrea Kremer and Rachel Ward come to mind first).

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I loved Rachel Ward in "Sharkey's Machine."

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

She was even better in "Against All Odds" - must have been where she learned how to handle football players.

I get it - Rachel Nichols. I miss Bonnie Bernstein as well.

A good question to ask - why is sideline reporting such a dead-end job?

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Can you please post some research to back this up? Maybe to define your terms or something?

I can not think of a single woman I know who is NOT a sports fan.

Heck, I have an antique ad from the '40s or something like that which mentions the fact that, in the survey done for whatever magazine it came from, over half of women said they were football fans. The tagline on the ad was "And that's why we talk football."

So, unless when you mean "big," you mean "moronic to the point they're stupid, argumentative and obsessed, I'm not sure I buy "the majority" not being sports fans.

Just try to turn the radio station when my 66-year-old mother is listening to the post-game show. She'd rip your arm off.

Draft saved Draft deleted