1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't you dare step into this booth woman!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Is this thread in response to this column?

http://espn.go.com/espn/commentary/story/_/id/6922884/why-there-more-women-calling-football-games

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm surprised ESPN - with their push for ESPNW - hasn't done a simulcast on the web or on one of their channels with two women covering a MNF game.
    It could be interesting. But I also wonder what it would sound like with women with higher pitched voices maybe a Michelle Beadle or Rachel Nichols.
    I think Ward and Mowins voices are very professional and subdued - so you don't notice so much that they are women.
    It's really an odd thing - one of the arguments you hear against having a female announcer is that the voice is jarring - but I don't' get that at all with Ward and Mowins, whose voices aren't that different from several men with current gigs.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Does that mean something?

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Ward is terrible. Absolutely abysmal. I don't think that has anything to do with the fact that she's a woman, though.

Mowins is excellent. Doris Burke analyzes NBA games and draws mostly praise. That's a step I think will be a difficult transition for women in football, since there's no major outlets for women to play football.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I hear all the time that Ward is terrible. I don't hear specifics. And since 99 percent of male announcers get ripped (hell, there are sites devoted to it), what's the dif?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Joe Buck doesn't count?

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

People bitch about Ward because she's not glam. That's all there is to it.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

See Waldman,Suzyn as reason 1 A as to why women should not
    be in broadcast booth.

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Yes. All she does is announce the game without trying to be too hip, or clever. I'll take her over 100 Gus Johnsons. And I know this would involve, like, moving out of your chair, but if you hate her voice so much, your team is on the radio, too. FM in a lot of cases.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's kind of my point. Pam Ward is terrible and gets so many things wrong and says so many stupid things that make my head hurt, but so do many men. And if people really think they haven't seen the proof of Pam Ward's bad broadcasting, just go to awfulannouncing.com. An example: http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/06/breaking-news-pam-ward-still-has-no.html

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

No problem with Ward, whatsoever.

Who was doing the p-by-p on the Michigan State telecast last weekend? Assumed, at first, it was Ward but unless her voice has changed, it was someone else.

12. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I get sick of complaints like this. There aren't enough women sports journalists, aren't enough women sports broadcasters, blah, blah, blah. You do know that, in general, the majority of women aren't big sports fans and don't want to spend their lives reporting on it?

When you find me an NFL memo that says, "We're not hiring women broadcasters," I'll give you argument attention. Until then...

Draft saved Draft deleted