1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't worry, I'll do your job for you

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Feb 24, 2012.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Was that writer fired?

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

If you put your effort and concentration into playing to your potential, to be the best that you can be, I don't care what the scoreboard says at the end of the game, in my book we're gonna be winners.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yeah, yeah...
    If you're leaning...you're cleaning.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Not if you are jealous of him.

Nice to have a job, though.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Which is fine. And your complaint about the sports editor absolutely fit into that kind of thread.

The complaint about the writer? You don't really think the writer intentionally left it for you to put in the final score, do you? It is certainly a significant error. I did that once. My boss at the time told me if I did it again, I shouldn't bother coming back into the office as planned later that night. I'm fairly certain he was not kidding. I'm just saying one of your examples seems to be intentional while the other is an honest mistake.

When you included the writer's error, it seemed to me as if you meant this to be a thread for copy editors to bitch about everybody else.

6. Sounds like someone should start a "Dead dimwit in the newsroom" thread so we can all tacitly understand it's just venting.

7. JPsT

JPsT Member

Desker finally snaps, offs editor

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Realized 5 minutes after I made my weekly call-in to a highly-listened-to statewide scoreboard call-in show that I'd given them the wrong final score (I was two points off and it was a blowout anyway, but alas). I'm sure I'm the only one who noticed, but sometimes, even the most grizzled vets make mistakes.

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Very wary of posting on threads like this.

That said, there is nothing more infuriating than the guy who "edits" errors into your copy.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Can I see a show of hands who here has forgotten to include a score in their gamer, at some point in their careers?
    Yes, I'm raising mine.
    I've done it once or twice (and I do mean once or twice) over the course of a dozen years and probably a thousand stories. I'm sure I'm not alone.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you think the sports side fucks up, I am guessing it happens X10 on the news side. The difference with sports is you know these people so you catch the errors.

My coworkers and I have been written about and quoted a lot in recent years, and there are always fuck ups with the facts. It has gotten to the point that one employee will immediately email the reporter with basic facts and names, which were just given verbally in an interview, just to be sure they are OK in the paper. I also have a buddy who was sourced in the NYT, and they got his first name wrong. Not spelled wrong. Just wrong.

Now in sports, those errors get caught. Verse knows it's Brett Favre and not Brad Farve, but on the news side for many sources the copy editor has no idea who the person is, so the errors keep making the paper.

12. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Lobster, I'm going to wait to see if Versatile approves of your use of "tacitly" before liking your comment. Don't want to ruffle feathers.

Draft saved Draft deleted