1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't worry, I'll do your job for you

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Hey, senior reporter with more than 30 years' experience, don't bother putting the final score into your gamer. We've got it.

And, sports editor, we can put together the budget for Monday's paper with no problem. You just worry about your prized Sunday section having all the right pieces of flair.

2. Biscayne

Biscayne Guest

Re: Don't worry, the desk will handle it

Not too soon to be thinking about contest entries, too.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Is it possible the writer just made a mistake on deadline? Or are those no longer tolerated?

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

They're absolutely tolerated (though it wasn't on any particularly strenuous deadline in this instance), which is why I would never even call out the writer to my coworkers for it. Is job stress not tolerated?

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

No. Sorry you didn't get the memo.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Just seems odd to start a thread because you have to add information to make a story complete or otherwise pick up your co-worker. If that's his worst mistake, the guy had a pretty good week.

7. spud

spud Member

If a beat writer missed the final score in a gamer, he had a pretty good week?

No, that's not what that means.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's a bit of a chink in the ol' armor.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

These seem like two very different things, though both are frustrating.

The first is a mistake. A bad one, but it sounds more like an honest error.

The second sounds like somebody making your life harder by not having his priorities in order and sticking you with his work. If anything, that would piss me off more.

Can't say I've been in your spot. Never worked on the desk. Have had sports editors stick me with their work in a similar manner, though, and it sucks. Then again, I've also had copy editors royally fuck up my work. Not intentionally, but I can certainly sympathize with being pissed off.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Hell, I've had copy editors royally fuck up my work, too, and I rarely write.

Anyway, my intent was to possibly create a place where we could bitch about getting dumped on at work. It seems more than appropriate given dwindling staffs. That includes writers, copy editors, assignment editors and the rest. So I renamed the thread title.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I've outed myself too much to bitch about work...but man! does my wife hear about things.

Then again...maybe I'm just a conceited tool that thinks his shit don't stank. But I doubt it.

12. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

If you have time to bitch about work, you haven't been given enough work.

Coffee break's over. Back on your heads.

Draft saved Draft deleted