1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Don't waste your education years studying writing'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, but it starts in high school, where it seems the only programs designed for the brights are in the MST (math, science, technology) or STEM (through in engineering).

It seems math and the like are valued for the for the really bright students and English and reading are valued only in so much is that everyone has a a basic grasp.

There are still a few jobs out there that aren't really suited for engineers or scientists.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

quant touched on this with the courses his daughter is going to take, but I would say any major or course of study that does not involve a significant math component is a major or course of study not worth pursuing. I don't think you can say the same about humanities.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Most of us learn to play basketball in third grade gym class too

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I disagree.

I think you can go further in life with a basic knowledge of math than with a basic knowledge of English (or in the case of the Jersey Shore cast, with little knowledge of either).

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Maybe when you and I were in school and finding our career path, Ace, but not in today's world. Math touches everything -- statistics and data analysis at the very least.

Writing is a great tool to have, but more in the nuts-and-bolts sense than in any kind of creative way that would be gained from an English or communications degree.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

One reason Nate Silver is so successful is that he's able to write engagingly about math for a general audience. I'm largely with the letter writer here. Writing is a vital skill, perhaps the single most vital skill, but it's at the same time a peripheral one. It shouldn't necessarily be an area of study unto itself. It's a conduit.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I'll be the Devil's Advocate:

Waste those years. They'll probably make you a more sympathetic, thoughtful person. The world needs more of those, and less of the humanoids young people are becoming at the urging of their parents, who got caught up in the race of keeping up.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Than history or philosophy or international relations or medicine or government - with a writing component?

I'll find it, but at some point, there was a thread where the Pulitzer Prize winners from the last several years were listed, with college major attached. I don't think a significant majority of them were English or J-majors.

(And, Alma, keep in mind that I did say at the outset of this thread that I believe my engagement with great authors - continued engagement, in fact - was valuable to me for pretty much the reason you said.)

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I am concerned not so much with degrees and career path but that the from middle school on that math/sciences are valued way above English/humanities for the top students.

And I agree with Alma that it's the equivalent of the Little League parent pushing kids to excel in these math-centric programs because that's what the other top students are all doing.

10. Yet students are still beating down the doors to go there. Noticed the acceptance rate was less than 50 percent.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That's what I meant to say: Avoid sports marketing as a major.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Not to mention that anything that produces a more savvy, informed electorate whose knowledge of history extends beyond the last election cycle can only be a good thing.

http://www.dancarlin.com//disp.php/csarchive/Show-236---Trapped-by-the-Inflexible-Mind/jobs-democrats-republicans
    http://dancarlin.com/dccart/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&cPath=2&products_id=204
    http://dancarlin.com/dccart/index.php?main_page=product_music_info&cPath=2&products_id=155
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/career-transitions/201208/why-major-in-history

Draft saved Draft deleted