1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't trust GPS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, May 11, 2011.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I would too if I had a smartphone.

I don't, so I don't.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

GPS is a tool but people forget that they have to use some common sense as well. Sorry about that guy who's missing, yes, but people just put all their faith in the GPS and that's wrong sometimes.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I DON'T WANT YOUR LIFE!

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have less than no sense of direction. Literally, if I turn right twice, I can't get home. No memory, no sense of direction, no basic knowledge about things like shadows and time of day and moss on trees and shit.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm now convinced UPS has the worst GPS in the nation based on tracking a package. So far it's gone from Los Angeles to Louisville to Ontario, Calif., in less than 24 hours.

How that route gets a package delivered to Redneckistan I'll never know. Maybe it'll be taken to Tahoe and put on a truck there?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Where were they going without ever knowing the way?

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They send all air packages through Louisville, and FedEx does the same in Memphis.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I understand that, but I'm much closer to Louisville than Ontario.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I logged tens of thousands of travel miles without ever using a map and rarely made a wrong turn, missed an exit, etc. Now I have a GPS and access to all sorts of online navigation and not a week goes by that my directions don't get fucked up.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

I expect a similar post on a "Don't trust online bill payments" thread in a few months.

12. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

All those back roads/forest service roads are just very poorly mapped. Whether you use google or a GPS, a smartphone or whatever. It seems like half the forest service roads that my GPS thinks go somewhere do not. Plus your smartphone becomes pretty worthless on a forest service road out in the sticks with no cell service.

I was trying to find a hiking spot in Arkansas and ended up driving around some farmer's giant barn, looking for the through road the GPS said was there. The farmer came out, probably laughing at this dumb city slicker, and told me there was no through road.

Another time, a road that was supposed to lead to a cool spot in the national forest ended in the driveway of some backwoods mobile home. You really can't trust a GPS for the backroads.

Draft saved Draft deleted