1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't trust GPS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, May 11, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110511/ap_on_re_us/us_missing_canadian_couple

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Seven weeks? My gosh. Thank God for those hunters.

Added:

Quotes don't get much better than this

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I've never gotten lost in the wilderness due to a GPS error, but to be fair, I lived out west for a long time and would never have allowed it to take me on one of the many rugged forest roads.

That said, my GPS failed me miserably two years ago when I drove from Virginia to Stony Brook on Long Island. I don't find myself driving through NYC very often, and I had to get from the Lincoln Tunnel to the Queens-Midtown Tunnel, and once I hit the city, the buildings blocked the satellite reception rendering the GPS useless. I nearly took out a pedi cab, but I eventually made it across.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I've never owned a GPS. Never had the need. Google maps does me just fine.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I love my GPS.

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I have a GPS in my car, but my smartphone does a far, far better job.

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I like to get myself lost in a lot of places in my car and meander my way out as a sort of hobby, including the heart of Appalachia.

But I don't fuck around out west with sideroads or scenic routes. Way too desolate for my nerves.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I don't use GPS, my wife does. She brought it along on our trip to Reno a few years ago. I knew how to get home, but we were using the GPS anyway, just to see how it worked. We're on 80 coming down from Tahoe (15 minutes, yeah, I know) to Sacramento to connect to the 5. Just as we were approaching the 5 interchange, the GPS still had us staying on the 80 for another 45 miles. I'm wracking my brain trying to figure out where the hell it's sending us. At the last second I bailed on the instructions and took the 5. I checked maps later and still couldn't figure out where Ms. Garmin wanted us to go.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I love my GPS, but this happens way too often in cities.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I use the navigation system (google maps I think) on my Droid. It's pretty badass.

11. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I stopped trusting GPS when some friends came to visit and we used theirs to find a Costco way out in the suburbs. I had a vague idea where it was but wanted to use the GPS so we wouldn't get totally lost. We were on the correct road when the GPS had us make double u-turns *twice* for absolutely no reason - 4 u-turns when all we needed to do was continue going straight.

12. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted