1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't sweet talk me, whitey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CD Boogie, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Shottie showed up to start blasting fuckers in Boogie’s honor.

Can’t say the screen writers here don’t give the people what they want.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Couldn't think of 28 folks of color to honor.

29 in a leap year.

How about Horatio Julius Homer, Boston's first African-American police officer?

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Nice, soap-opera-like take on it. Unlike you, Dick, I don't check who's taking the heat before I speak my mind. I don't need to align with a team.

But I'm sure you and YF will have something to chatter about over your lunchboxes.

4. Dick Whitman

Boogie, the problem isn’t that we can’t have “reasonable” discussions about race. We can and we do. The problem - the hilarity, more accurately - is that you roll out variations of every cliche that white racists have been repeating for years and act like you’ve dropped the mic. I half expect a thread this morning titled, “If it’s such an offensive word, why do they get to call each other that in rap music songs? Huh? Answer me that!”

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Every month that isn't the shortest month of the year.

6. jr/shotglass

Well? You raised it yourself ...

7. Dick Whitman

You showed up in full Mother Hen mode to defend someone acting like a complete dunce.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

You're responding to an imaginary thread.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

People might really get pissed if they honored him:

Horatio Homer was born in Farmington, Conn., in 1848, the year that state abolished slavery. He moved to Massachusetts in 1873, eventually living in Brighton and the South End, as well as Roxbury.

Records show he was a man of varied interests. He was said to play several musical instruments and to have a knack for memorizing poems. A Republican, he belonged to a black man’s political club. He was said to have known Frederick Douglass.

“He was a pioneer in his day and age,” Lillian Homer said. “He was a father and a husband who did his duty.”

Homer’s legacy lives on in the department as it works to integrate more minorities and women into its ranks.

For Sergeant Horatio J. Homer, Boston’s first black officer, growing tributes - The Boston Globe

(Yes, I'm kidding.)

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

A couple of months ago there was a young (college age) African-American woman working out in the Y gym at which I exercise. She had the physique of a track athlete ... the slim waist, the slender but obviously powerful legs. Plus, she was wearing a Rice Univ. track & field sweatshirt and she was throwing around weights like nobody's business.

The famous DaughterQuant's a helluva student, and I secretly harbor dreams that she might go to Rice. I wanted to ask the young lady if she goes there, but I was worried it would be taken as one of those micro-aggressions ... Old white guy thinks the only way I'm at Rice is as an athlete ... so I didn't do anything. But let's suppose I had, and let's suppose it had been taken as a micro-aggression.

You say you know racism when you see it. I'm sure you do. But I think you, like a great many people, also see racism where mere bumbling among people of good will is occurring. That's why I'm on you, and others, sometimes as re: the liberal use of the word "racist."

11. jr/shotglass

And yet, you would probably neglect to call yourself out on that when you do it -- continuously -- when YF acts like a complete dunce.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Dick and I disagree on a lot. He's criticized me as much, or more, than anyone.

We mostly agree on who's an idiot.

Dick Whitman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted