1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't Stop Believing ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by fromthebluegrass, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Hustle

Hustle Guest

The hot girl at the bank didn't think so...

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

The entry about the Scorpions -- gotta love German lite metal -- is very true. My 40-year-old sis was listening to "Still Loving You" in the car the other day on our way to a Rockets game. Suddenly, I felt a desire to grow a mullet.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Just like that story said, Madonna's "Crazy for You" took me right back to proms and every other uncomfortable teenage dance, with my hands perched firmly on some girl's waist (inches yet miles away from her ass), her arms wrapped around my neck with about as much emotion as if my head was a soda can, and a gap between our swaying bodies suitable for driving a golf cart through.

Nah, I don't have any old, deep-seated bad memories of high school :)

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

What?! No vote for "Landslide"?

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Stevie Nicks fanatic and I think that song is pure cheese!

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"Sometimes When We Touch" has them all beat.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've never thought of "Don't Stop Believin'" as a chessy ballad ("Open Arms", though, is another story) and as objectionable as Barry Manilow is, there's no doubt that Bryan Adams is the reigning king of cheesy ballads.

Any hard rock or metal band offering like "Beth", "Every Rose Has Its Thorn", "Silent Lucidity" goes to the top of the list too.

7. joe

joe Active Member

Scoreboard

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"I Would Do Anything For Love" is pretty heinous too.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

This isn't a list. It's office chatter.

That said:

1. JR, I'm going to hunt you down and kill you for putting "Sometimes When We Touch" in my head. Hopefully, nobody REALLY hunts you down and kills you, or else I'm going to need a good extradition lawyer.

2. As cheesy as the Scorpions were in the 80s, they kicked ass in the 70s. "Backstage Queen," "Loving You Sunday Morning" -- that shit rocks.

3. "Iris" is only cheesy because the Goo Goo Dolls have done nothing but re-record the song, under different titles, ever since.

4. For Journey cheese, "Open Arms" is bacteria on wax, but "Faithfully" is the real limburger.

5. Player's "Baby Come Back" should be on the list, if only because Biz Markie sampled it.

6. No Hall and Oates on the cheese list? Those guys were a regular cheddar factory.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Just for you, Bob. The karaoke version:

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Paging BYH, will Mr. BYH please pick up the white courtesy phone.

And oh yeah, good call of "Faithfully" which is incredibly horrid.

"Sometimes When We Touch" is complete shit as is "Break It To Them Gently" by Burton Cummings.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I can never do karaoke with any of you people, nor spend much time in a car.

I like Sometimes When We Touch. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted