1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

don't stand on the logo?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Thank makes a heck of a lot more sense than having the logo, which is also on the jersey, on the floor.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

I read a great story about Jean Beliveau when he was captain of the Montreal Canadiens. Apparently a rookie came into the dressing room after a bad game and, angry, peeled off his jersey and flung it on the floor.

The room suddenly became deadly silent. Beliveau was sitting on the other side of the room and he slowly got up and walked across the floor toward the rookie. He stopped, picked up the jersey and stared at the embarrassed kid for what must have seemed like an eternity.

When he finally handed it back, he spoke deliberately, in a very solemn voice, and got a message across not only to the kid but to the entire team: "This sweater...never touches the floor again."

Many people have surpassed Jean Beliveau's statistics in the 35 years since he retired, but I'm not sure if there's ever been a more respected leader in the entire history of hockey.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

My first thought when I stumbled upon this thread. I had never heard of that tradition before.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Declined comment:

[​IMG]

5. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Doug Harvey, the esteemed Montreal defenseman, carried the tradition to St. Louis when the NHL expanded. Told a kid who did the same thing with the Blues jersey, "This is like the flag. It never touches the ground."

6. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Baseball is pretty good, because you have so much access. The clubhouse is open 3 1/2 hours before the game until 45 minutes prior to first pitch. Granted, there's batting practice somewhere during this time but you get stand around the cage, too. You get to know the players. They see you EVERY DAY.
    I talk to players all the time about their personal lives, and they ask me about mine. It's called building trust.

7. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Glad to hear it, but what the hell does that have to do with standing on the logo in an NHL locker room?

Draft saved Draft deleted