1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

don't stand on the logo?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Oct 5, 2006.

1. I think "paycheque" is my favorite SportsJournalists.com Canadianism ever.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Sorry to dredge back up, but I finally got around to reading this.

Thanks for posting that link.

Shaughnessy's quotes = Nail on head. I loved what he said.

And I think it could be argued the 'handlers' and the tightening of access are contributing to the 'opinionization' of sports journalism.

We're all turning into opinion-shouters now because we don't have the access to report.

3. KP

KP Active Member

In that Denver Post article, where is Teemu Selanne? On the fucking logo! (I tried inserted the imaged but got the SportsJournalists.com logo, a red x.)

The Red Sox clubhouse had the red line.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

You mean "favourite," right? ;D

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Disagrees with you:

[​IMG]

I met George Teague two years ago, actually had dinner with him. He's a high school football coach near Dallas now. We talked about the Owens thing. He has a great sense of humor about it. He's a pretty Christian guy, and walks the walk, doesn't just spout bible verses. He seemed like a good person. He holds bible study meetings (his players can come if they want). He said he teaches them respect for the game and sportsmanship and walking away from trash talkers, but every year he hears from at least a few players, "But coach, what about you and Terrell Owens?" He kind of laughs about it, though, as in, "Do what I say, not what I did," even though with a wink he said if he had the moment all over again, he'd have hit Owens even harder.

Also, interestingly, he said, he tried to approach Owens a few years later to talk about it--on the field before a game, I think--and Owens looked right through him and blew him off.

6. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

They're just doing what's right for the organ-i-zation.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Jesus drove the merchants from the temple.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Probably against his Christian principles, but he shoulda hit him again and then said, "hey bitch, do you remember me now?!"

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Not that i have anything to compare it to directly, but I keep hearing that NHLers are traditionally the most approachable professional athletes, although there are exceptions, even in junior hockey. This one goalie on one of the local teams won't talk after a loss. But then even when he does talk he's not that great a quote, but being the starting goalie it makes it hard to avoid him.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

For me growing up and playing hockey, while we never had a logo on the floor it was a big no-no to let the sweater touch the floor. If you weren't wearing it, it was on a hanger and on a hook on the wall. It was a respect thing, same as not letting a flag touch the ground as a flag bearer.

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Definitely a huge no no in hockey. Practice jerseys get the same treatment.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Teague was a pussy. Instead of a half-throttle shove, he should have sprinted full-bore at Owens, tomahawked him right across the back of the neck with a stiff-arm, then kicked the shit out of his ribs as he lay writhing on the field.

If Teague had any balls, Owens would have left the field strapped to a stretcher, and spent about the next six months in traction.

Draft saved Draft deleted