1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't Screw With Keith Olberman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 22, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Was posting at the same time as you.

Yeah, the "no categories" means they can reward anyone they like. That may be a good thing in some ways, but it gives them a lot of latitude to reward shows/performers that they "agree" with.

I don't usually watch Stewart, but when I do, I find him pretty funny.

It's usually the same thing: Stewart makes funny face after showing clip. But it's funny.

He's definitely carved out a niche, and I'm sure he's got staff, along with the people at places like Media Matters, as well as viewers sending him clips.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

He must have some sort of deal with Media Matters. Something.

YF, At least most of those Peabody shows you listed are quality. :-\ I don't know about 'Good Eats,' though. ;D

3. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

For the sake of accuracy, Les Nessman won the coveted SILVER Sow Award and the Buckeye News Hawk Award.

4. YankeeFan

Good Eats might be my favorite show on the list! They just don't produce enough new episodes.

But you're right, they are mostly good shows.

I was looking at the list of winners on Wikipedia. In recent years, they've significantly upped the number of winners and the number of winners that are entertainment shows vs. journalism.

It used to be rare that an entertainment show won. MASH and The Mary Tyler Moore show were winners. Both could be described as breakthrough shows.

Now it seems routine that multiple entertainment shows are rewarded.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I don't know, I'm in the minority on that one, I don't find his act funny.

If he can get paid gazillions for having others collate news for him and, as noted, then tacking on one of his shit-eating grins to the end of each piece (my beautiful niece does this and gets paid $0.00), then good for him.

6. Lugnuts

You know what, YankeeFan? I've learned a lot from you today. ;D I had no idea this was going on with the Peabodys.

This actually does tarnish the award in my eyes.

7. YankeeFan

I've never had a signature in my posts, but I may need to add one.

Your perception of the Peabody's probably goes back 15 years to when you entered the biz. It looks like they were purer then.

Since I didn't know much about them -- sure, I've heard the term, but have never given it much thought -- I wanted to look them up.

You probably haven't had much reason to do so, and so your perception hadn't changed much.

Honestly, I'll bet the changes really do had to do with selling tickets to the awards ceremony/dinner and getting famous people in the room.

The TONY awards do this to a lesser degree. If some hollywood star takes a turn on Broadway, they make a huge deal about it and he/she will end up as a presenter on the telecast at the expense of honest to goodness Broadway stars.

8. Lugnuts

Yeah - the whole awards thing is really just nuts.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Mr. Peabody won a Peabody. Also Boris and Natasha and Moose and Squirrel.

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

The MOOSE won? This can not be!

Draft saved Draft deleted