1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't Screw With Keith Olberman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 22, 2010.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Folks take Stewart seriously, but he's still on the Comedy Channel, which doesn't bill it self as a NEWS channel, nor purport to be some paragon of journalism or broadcasting.

2. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Jon Stewart is not a journalist, nor has he ever carried himself as one.

And he doesn't spend all his time banging on FOX. CNN gets hammered a whole hell of a lot, and rightfully so.

Some days watching Sanchez and 'The Lemonator' is funnier than Stewart/Colbert...and the CNN guys are trying to do straight news. That is the sad part.

3. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

For my money, Stewart on Don Lemon is still some of the funniest stuff on TV.

His old joke about the Sanchez taser video never gets old, either. I could watch Sanchez getting tased on a loop throughout the day.

4. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

When I watched CNN during the 'tsunami' coverage, I wanted to go to Atlanta and tase that bastard myself.

Our noble profession was diminished that day.

5. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Stewart has obviously struck a nerve somewhere, so of course you wish people would quit taking him seriously. :) Doubt it's going to happen, though.

I don't think Stewart has ever labeled himself as a "journalist" per se ... and I do find it kind of ironic that a show that spoofs the news is a better news program than real news shows.

I'll agree, though ... that IS a sad commentary on the state of journalism.

Stewart still gets mega props in my book for getting away with calling Tucker Carlson a dick on national TV. :)

6. Lugnuts

As someone who has worked in TV for 15+ years, I don't understand how Stewart does what he does with regard to the research... and I've never seen anything written about exactly how he puts his show together. It's like a well-guarded trade secret.

By that I mean, how does he find the old clips? How does he monitor 4-5 channels 24/7 ... then turn it around with really great writing for the same day? I'm sure viewers help him out by sending him tips, but that's not enough to pull off what he does.

Awhile back, when Stewart was busting Joe Scarborough, Joe accused him of having "90 writers." Stewart made fun of that by doing a skit in which 90 writers were stuffed into a glass room. The point being, he doesn't have 90 writers.

He must have some mega-talent on his staff, though, and treat his folks very well to have sustained this for so many years.

I mean, the guy has won a Peabody, which is the highest award in broadcast journalism - it's like a Pulitzer - it's almost impossible to win. And the reason he won it is his depth of research.

I don't know what he is-- journalist, comedian, something else... But he definitely serves a purpose-- because he seems to be the only one with a memory... the only person willing to go back and see what was actually said before.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

When the hell is Donny Deutsch going to comment on this story?

Does he want to remain a guest on Morning Joe so badly that he's afraid to further cross Olbermann?

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Entourage also won a Peabody.

And allegedly Bill O'Reilly.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

O'Reilly's Peabody: "Uh, oh yeah. It was a Polk. Just as prestigious."

I think that's just a biscuit above Les Nessman's Golden Sow Award.

10. YankeeFan

Looks like the Peabody's are striving/struggling for relevance. Besides Stewart, Colbert, Southpark, Glee, and Battlestar Galactica have all won Peabody's.

So, tell me again how these are the equivalent of a Pulitzer or that they are limited to broadcast journalism.

11. Lugnuts

Ha! I didn't know Battlestar Galactica won a Peabody. There does seem to be some struggle for relevance. ;D It's still a very prestigious award and hard to get because it doesn't have "categories" and there are no set number of awards they give... But point well taken.

The fact remains, though... Daily Show is still pulling off a hell of a trick.

But I get that it's not for everybody.

12. YankeeFan

And Lost, The Simpsons, 30 Rock, Project Runway, Scrubs, The Office, Friday Night Lights, Good Eats, House, The Shield, Boston Legal, Dora the Explorer, The Wire, Boomtown, Six Feet Under, Boston Public, The Bernie Mac Show, The West Wing, The Sopranos, Malcolm in the Middle, Ally McBeal, NYPD Blue, The Practice, Homicide: Life on the Street, Ellen, Law & Order, The X-Files, Mad About You, Frasier, ER, MTV Unplugged, and Mystery Science Theater 3000.

I get the feeling that the Peabody's just want to get some famous people in the room at the award ceremony.

Probably helps to sell tickets.

And they really like David Kelley.

Draft saved Draft deleted