1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't Mess With Texas: Entire Staff Leaves Jefferson Newspaper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Riptide, Jun 23, 2015.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

He was their heart and soul, but it's tough when you're workin for a livin.

Steak Snabler likes this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

When Lewis' paper does die, is he going to say that he used to have you in a photograph.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You're walking on a thin line there.
    But sometimes bad is bad.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

We at SJ should like him, though. He wanted Sports to be the paper's only section.

HejiraHenry likes this.
  5. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I want a new staff?

(You guys took all the good ones.)

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Takes an amazingly big cock to walk off the job like Lewis.

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

When staff started complaining, Lewis responded, "Ain't no living in a perfect world. There ain't no perfect world anyway."

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Lewis wants to know why they left, after all, the heart of newspapers is in Texas.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Quite the mind reader, Rip!

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's an unfair assumption. Maybe it's just a Gannett paper.

11. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Back in time I was workin for a livin in these parts of Texas. I actually drove through the small world of Jefferson quite a bit (it's popular for bed and breakfasts and antique shops...at least it was then). I don't recall this paper at all.
    Honestly, I'm shocked they have more than a two-three person on staff, most Texas weeklies this size are often one man shows. Which could explain the issue, they may have hired too many people. I also imagine the few workers there have ties to Jefferson which is probably why they did the graduation section. And, of course, if the graduation section is a big deal and it would cut your readership if you dont have one, you do the section in case there is a chance of the pay issue being resolved....you want a job to come back to .

12. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

You serious? Not being paid for a month? That's illegal, and if you are a professional you walk.

If the management comes to you, beforehand, about financial issues, fine -- it's best to keep jobs.

But, if the owner of the paper doesn't pay you? YOU ABSOLUTELY WALK.

I don't care what kind of readership loyalty you feel. I think it is unprofessional to even do the work if they haven't been paid in a month.

Draft saved Draft deleted