1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't joke about Dongles

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Wow.

Woman claims to hear sexist jokes at a conference. Snaps photo of the alleged parties making the jokes, posts it on Twitter. Guy gets fired as a result. Woman also ends up losing her job as a result of posting and backlash.

I don't know if anyone should have been fired here, but wow. Certainly a reminder of watching what you say in a public setting and the use of social media.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/joke-dongles-conference-led-two-130019308.html

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I almost made a joke about dingleberries yesterday, and now this dongle thread appears!

Coincidence? Heck no, must be a \conspiracytheory crossthread.

I am getting tired of feeling I should exhibit more restraint out of fear of losing my job. I mean, being PC is one thing, but to feel like your freedom of expression requires self-restraint seems a bit un-American to me.

Or maybe it's like living under a 1984 kind of society. Hell, it's not just big brother watching us - it is everyone with their camera phones and social media.

IT'S THE FREQUENCIES, KENNETH!

Argghhhh!

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Forking and dongles are two words that definitely would have gotten me fired.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

What was the joke? I don't get it. I don't see anything inappropriate in that photo.

5. Good thing Gina Trapani is on the case. She looked up from her gift bag long enough to care.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you don't want people making crude jokes, don't name your programming language "Python," and don't call those little things you plug into computers "dongles."

End the temptation, dammit!

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Vers, that's the damn problem - doesn't matter what you think. Diversity Training teaches you that only the opinion of the victim matters, regardless of intent, etc.

You are safest acting like a robot, coming to work, and not creating any problems.

Management prefers it that way. You know, not making managers have to manage.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

But if you act like a robot, you still have to be careful asking coworkers for a lube job.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

No, I mean, can someone please actually explain to me what the fuck happened?

I wasn't being facetious.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

They were at some sort of event. The two guys were making "dongle" dick jokes. The woman sitting in front of them got offended. Instead of asking them to shut up, she took their picture and posted it on Twitter with a message that said "These men are making sexist jokes RIGHT BEHIND ME!"

One of the men was fired because of it. There was then a backlash, and she was fired for being an asshole.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

She's taking a beating from commenters on her blog post.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They're really forking her good.

Draft saved Draft deleted