1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't go to Spokesman-Review if you're hoping to read about football...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Aug 5, 2007.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Because S-R killed its fall football tab. As always, I'm sorry if it's a d_b, but I have mixed emotions about this one. S-R doesn't strike me as football territory, but I gotta wonder how people feel out there.

More info via Romenesko website.

2. I wonder how ad sales for this were going.

Our football tab, from what I've heard, is selling great guns. I've found tab viability is almost solely dependent on how motivated the advertising department is to sell it, regardless of economic realities.

Advertisers still believe in target marketing.

3. Can we trade advertising departments?

4. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

No kidding. I'm told our ad department can't sell the tab, which translates roughly to "we WON'T sell a football tab."

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Looks like the war was lost, boys.

7. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Seriously, the war's lost because somebody killed the football tab?

Jeez, a little perspective's in order.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Guess it depends on the territory. Having never visited Spokane, I can't gauge the interest of HS/college football out there.

I know if you tried this in parts of Texas, you'd have a lynch mob ready to take away the editors and burn down the building.

9. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Some people from the S-R wanna come do my tab? :D

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Actually, I know people who live in Dallas and they hate the new Morning News.
    Cancelled their home subscriptions, read what they want online during the week and pick up the Sunday paper only if they are out and about.
    So while it wasn't everyone, some people noticed and reacted.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

When I worked in Pennsylvania, there were two things you did not dare mess with -- football and wrestling. Once you cut back coverage on one of them, you were fucked.

Is football a huge deal out in Washington like it is in Pennsylvania and Texas?

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I don't know how big of a deal high school football is in Eastern Washington - though I am sure it is in the small towns - but Washington State University is not far away from Spokane and Eastern Washington University is really close as well. The Spokesman also covers the Idaho panhandle, where high school football is king.

Draft saved Draft deleted