1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't forget to take notes, too

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FuturaBold, Jun 12, 2006.

1. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

So I get back from vacation last night, knowing that I have to write one story for this morning's paper on a local softball player who had an MVP season and is going on to the next level.

I interviewed her and a few others before I left but never transcribed the interviews. I go to look for my tape last night, and I can't find it anywhere. Gone into the journalistic abyss (along with the potential for a decent story). Since I basically took crap for notes during the interviews, I had very little other than some stats and coaches quotes to go on.

It's the second time this spring I've had to learn the hard way to take decent notes even when I'm recording interviews ... arrggg...

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

your error was not transcribing the tape right away. you were asking for trouble right there. never give yourself a chance to misplace something.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Relax, you'll find the tape ... tomorrow.

4. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I'd have written the story before I went on vacation.

5. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

Yes, yes and yes -- I hear all of you ... Actually I'm the one-man sports department for two community papers (weekly and a 3x week) and did do a lot of work before I left setting things up for when I was gone ... This was the story I didn't get to ... usually works that way, right?

6. Dessens71

Dessens71 Member

This thread reminds me of the scene in White Men Can't Jump when Rosie Perez tells Woody Harrelson she's thirsty, then yells at him for going to get her a glass of water. She just wanted him to sympathize with her dry-mouthedness.
    Dude, I'm not going to get you a glass of water. No advice or analysis. Just a heart-felt dose of sympathy. We've all been there and it sucks. Godspeed.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and we all know what woody should have said ... (rosie) i've got something for you to drink ...

Draft saved Draft deleted