1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't Do It Canada!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

And trying to steal Zambonis. It's a slippery slope.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think it's been the unofficial anthem for a lot longer than that.

Pierre Trudeau's Liberals started weaning us off the monarchy when he became PM in the late 60's. Another reason why Canadians of a certain generation--mostly dead now---hated him.

I remember people were up in arms when the government created Canada Post and got rid of the coat of arms on the mailboxes.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Double J

Double J Active Member

"O Canada" became the official anthem in 1980, when the lyrics were last adapted, but it was certainly heard everywhere prior to it becoming official. I can remember it being played before movies and theatres, in the 1970s and maybe even into the early '80s.

Keep in mind, "The Star-Spangled Banner" didn't become America's official anthem until 1931, almost 120 years after it was written and first popularized.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I always kinda like The Maple Leaf Forever -- but I like O Canada more...

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The Star-Spangled Banner didn't become the U.S. national anthem until 1931.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Snappy melody but just a tad English-centric

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Well, this explains why the color guard at the 1992 World Series flew the Canadian flag upside-down. The CNA was simply not PC, so the flag was SOL.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

It worked when we were mainly an English-descended and -dominated society.

Whatever happened to the Family Compact and the Orange Order, anyway? ;D

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

This isn't the first time this has been brought up, I seem to remember some time in the 90s when a big deal was made about genders being singled out and the fact god is mentioned in the anthem. It was shot down back then for taking political correctness too far and being far too over sensitive and I believe it has been shot down again.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20100305/anthem_flip_100305/20100305?hub=TopStoriesV2

The Tories brought this up as a distraction, that is all. Why? because they just released the budget yesterday. So if they can take some attention off of something that is going to be controversial while tapping into a sense of national pride once again, so be it.

It is the same with the Americans, whenever they need a good distraction they bring back the old anti-flag burning legislation push.

It's an old trick and not even a clever one at that.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Our real national anthem should be the "Hockey Night in Canada" theme.

The original version, which most of us will remember from all through the 1970s and '80s.

Complete with some video clips of when the Leafs were good, including a clip of an unmasked Johnny Bower taking a puck off the face at about the 55-second mark, and Bill Barilko's Stanley Cup-winning goal starting at about 1:20.

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

When the Leafs were good? Was that video taken via kinetoscope? :p

Draft saved Draft deleted