1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't Do It Canada!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 5, 2010.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

O Canada is the best national anthem period. The thing seems like it was composed to be played at Gold Medal ceremonies.

I'd like to see a Trevor Rabin, John Williams or other movie composer take a crack at a new U.S. anthem. Something stirring, pithy and victorious. Maybe mixing in some Rhapsody in Blue, some Duke Ellington, a little bit from Rudy, Gettysburg and Remember the Titans

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

My earliest memory of "Oh, Canada" was in baseball when the Ex-Blows would come play under the Arch.

3. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Our national anthem is played prior to movies in some theaters on military installations.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I say you he dead.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

In the 70s, did you at least sing the Sex Pistols version?

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. It was a pretty incredible run. John Davidson played out of his mind. When they beat the Canadiens in Game 1, in Montreal, a Stanley Cup victory seemed a real possibility.

It took another 15 years to get one, and they haven't sniffed on in 15 years since that one.

7. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is beacause I grew up with it and the grass is always greener on the other side but I love the US anthem and think it is better than the Canadian anthem.

I like the words to it, about fighting for something and succeeding, also think the music kicks ass.

I guess that is what you get when your country is created by a revolution rather than an act of British parliament!

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I remember the Lord's Prayer over the loudspeaker in my very very WASP high school Hell, the Catholics were considered a minority back then

I'm pretty sure we had God Save the Queen every day in high school but it's over 40 years ago. I'll check with some of my siblings.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Canuckistani Authorities will be visiting you shortly and deporting you to Texas. Have fun.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The lyrics -- a poem really -- were set to the music of an English drinking song. So, no credit to America for the music.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I fear that, if they make the anthem gender-neutral, some day the Canadian women's hockey team will wind up drinking beer and jumping around on the ice.

12. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

"O Canada" has only been the national anthem for 30 years? I swear I remember it from watching "Hockey Night in Canada" as a kid in the '70s. I even knew the lyrics at one time.

('HNIC' - a great perk for Americans living so close to the great white north, eh?)

Draft saved Draft deleted