1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't Do It Canada!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 5, 2010.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Don't change the best National Anthem out there:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2010/03/canada-considers-a-rewrite-to-make-its-national-anthem-gender-neutral-/1

And

http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2010/03/05/13122556.html

2. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

I'm not Canadian, but I always thought it was "in all thy hearts command." ... Hey, that might actually work.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

DON'T FUCK WITH THE RECIPIE!

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

As far as being used officially, it's only 30 years old??

Jeebus, I'm older than a national anthem.

5. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

So change it to:

"True patriot love. With penis or with vaj"

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The present lyrics are slightly different from the original English 1908 version which was a translation from the French. This won't be the first time the lyrics have been tinkered with.

And this, of course, is the perfect Canadian response:

The flap broke out after the government said this week that it would refer the anthem to a Commons' committee to study its gender neutrality.

A Parliamentary Committee!! How perfect

Given that the present government only wants Parliament to sit for about ten days a year, this may not get changed before 2020.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

When I was in grade school, we used to sing "God Save the Queen'

And our flag is only 45 years old.

8. YankeeFan

Are you serious, wow.

Since I was a kid, they always played "Oh, Canada" before NHL games in the States that featured a team from Canada.

If it's only been official since 1980, when did it become "unofficial"?

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm showing my age here. I was in freakin' grade school in the late 50's and early 60's

The IODE (Imperial Order of the Daughters of the Empire) donated portraits of Queen Elizabeth that hung in every classroom--at least in Ontario. To my astonishment that group still exists but like every banking institution, only goes by its acronym.

"God Save the Queen" was played before every move started and the ushers made sure you were standing.

10. YankeeFan

Before movies! Holy cow.

My memory of the NHL begins around the Rangers '79 playoff run.

Just curious if the playing of "Oh Canada" before NHL games predates my experience or if it started right about the same time.

I just assumed it was "always" played.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

A Rangers playoff run is more astonishing than singing God Save the Queen.

12. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I was in elementary school in Manitoba in the 70's and we sang God Save the Queen every morning, opened assembles with it etc. We also had the Lord's Prayer over the PA in Jr high (early 80's)

Interesting note about who paid for the portraits. Did they also pay for the humungous portrait of her that hung in the old Winnipeg Arena?

This would normally be where I post the Youtube link for the SCTV "Queen Haters" sketch but I can't get Youtube from work.

FWIW I think these kind of revisionist decisions are idiotic but don't have a problem with this one, let's include half the population into the anthem.

Draft saved Draft deleted