1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't Condescend Me with your Tiny Pear (Curb premiere)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Sep 21, 2009.

1. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

This is Season 7, I believe. So you're caught up on the DVDs. Season 6 started with Meet the Blacks.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Right. It's been two years since the last season. As usual, Larry originally wanted last season to be the final one, and changed his mind ...

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

A really good first episode.

You can see Larry weighing the ethical difference of lying about taking the food vs. Jeff lying about sleeping with her.

The stuff about staying with the girlfriend was excellent as well, as was the discussion of neighbors vs. thieves

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Catherine O'Hara really has found her comic stride the past decade.

5. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Bam Bam is amazing. But the line of the night was Marty to Larry and Jeff. "No wonder she was singing 'I love the fat boy.' "

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Another great ep tonight ... Larry destroys every relationship Richard Lews is in. I love it.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Larry (to Leon, after Loretta, granny and the kids leave): "So I guess you'll be ... "

Leon: "Goin' up to my room and eatin' this muthafuckin' Chinese food."

And Leon's analogy about how he and Larry are locked together like Legos was awesome. JB Smoove as Leon Black was one of the most inspired bits of ancillary casting in television history.

Also loved Larry's battles with the vacuum-sealed packaging. God do I hate that stuff!

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Haven't seen either episode.

But you're right about JB Smoove. As good a role character as I've ever seen.

The "get in that ass, Larry" bit so damn good.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

" who do you think I am Mohamed Atta"? Nothing is sacred with Larry.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The first two episodes were of the highest quality. His interaction with Lewis is just great, as they are obviously ad libbing and cracking themselves up as they do it. Keeping Leon is inspired.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The ad lib thing is the show's M.O., IIRC. In the extras of one of the seasons on DVD, Larry said he only writes basic outlines to shows and that most of the dialogue is ad-lib. If that's true, it makes the show that much more brilliant.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Yes it's true. There was a great article on The New Yorker a few year ago about.

I have a friend who did a bit with Larry on show. He said just gave him basic idea of scene and they went to work.

When they crack up it reminds me of the interaction the Tim Conway and Harvey Korman had on Carol Burnett show. You can tell it's genuine.

Draft saved Draft deleted