1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't call me "amigo," buddy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Mar 28, 2008.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

oop, I expected the contrarian view to come in before the first page was done.

2. Magnum

Magnum Member

They beat and robbed someone. Put the guys in jail and let them out only after they speak fluent English and obtain their GED.

Otherwise, it's like giving them a cookie and making them promise they won't do it again or they will REALLY get in trouble next time.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So did I.

And Magnum, I took it to mean there was a deal on the table and this was part of it. Don't ask me why. But if they are going to be back on the street shortly, I like the idea of their parole coming with those attachments.

4. Magnum

Magnum Member

Nothing in the story about a deal, just that they pleaded guilty. Had there been a negotiated plea, the judge just decides whether to accept the terms or not. If not, the defendants can withdraw the plea.

In this case the judge determined the sentence. He could have easily given them jail time. No wonder the defense attorney was all a-giggle over the sentence. His client is off scot-free.

And pardon me for not chiming in sooner. I had a dentist appointment.

5. outofplace

I think it's fairly safe to assume they got some kind of deal for pleading guilty. At least that is how I read it.

6. Magnum

Magnum Member

I'm sure your assumptions are correct, as opposed to the facts I just laid out for you.

7. outofplace

So, the facts you laid out are incorrect? Well, thanks for that then. (Hint: Try re-reading your statement. And work on those writing skills).

You were basing your argument on an assumption, that there was no deal in place that limited what the judge could do. Perhaps while you are working on those writing skills, you should look up the definition of a fact, too.

8. Magnum

Magnum Member

::)

9. outofplace

Weak, but at least you didn't mangle your meaning that time.

10. Magnum

Magnum Member

I'm sorry. I didn't have the patience last night to respond to what may have been the most idiotic post I've ever read.

My statement was sarcasm and, to be honest, we both know it. But you're so insecure that you insist on having an argument so you can be right at something, no matter how trivial. Lost the 'battle' so you try to 'win the war' by insulting my writing and my meaning when even your kid could have figured it out. You lead a sad existence.

Here are the facts. Let's say you're arrested for beating your kid. You have a couple of options: Go to trial or plead guilty. If this is your first offense you can talk to the prosecutor about a first-time offender program. In this, you plead guilty and get your record wiped clean once you complete some programs.

Let's say you've been caught red-handed and you have a history. You can approach the prosecutor and ask for a deal. Maybe you can turn on someone or the evidence isn't as strong as the prosecution would like. They may offer you a lesser charge a number of years in exchange for your plea. This is a negotiated plea. If the judge thinks the prosecutor is being too lenient with the offer, he can reject the plea and you can go to trial.

Let's say you don't want to go to trial but the prosecution is intent on putting you in jail for a long time. So you plead straight-up. In exchange for your plea, the prosecution may agree not to make a recommendation to the judge, nor will they contest your plea for leniency, but there is no deal in place.

Hope that is clear enough for you.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Fuck those thugs; throw 'em in jail.

Now can we go back to talking about la Reconquista?

12. Magnum

Magnum Member

Indeed. Death to the marranos!!

Draft saved Draft deleted