1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't call me "amigo," buddy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by shotglass, Mar 28, 2008.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

DELETOS THOS GOD DAMNOS THREADOS NOWOS!

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

[​IMG]

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Either say "yo quiero tomate, pero no quiero mayonaisa" to mean "I want tomato, not mayonaise" in Spanish or if she's really being unreasonable, say, "quiero hablar con su jefe." That means, "I want to speak with your boss."

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

That's pretty good work, there.

That's a weird story about the sandwich lady. I mean, I bet she's a bit slow. Even if her English is poor, you'd think she know the English words for sandwich stuff.

I once witnessed a bizarre scene with the roles reversed. Subway sandwich place inside an Oklahoma truck stop. White Okie woman making the sandwiches, Hispanic dude ordering in broken English. She starts lecturing the guy about his shitty English and how he needs to learn English if he wants to live in the USA.

5. forever_town

The worst stories I ever had came in sandwich lines.

One was at the local Burger King. This deaf guy was in front of me and was ordering. Fortunately, he could read lips, and he could speak. However, the clerk mumbled, "do you want fries with that" while staring at her register. Obviously, the deaf guy couldn't get that. After she did it again, I tapped him on the shoulder and made sure to enunciate the words clearly. I almost got on her case for mumbling, thoug...

The other one was at the Subway at the Inner Harbor in Baltimore. I was behind a British woman and she pronounced to-maH-to, which confused the clerk. She repeated it and the clerk was still confused ... until I chimed in with to-MAY-to.

I never thought I'd have to translate English for English speakers...

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

en engles por favor. Yo comprendo muy poco espanol.

7. forever_town

What's sad is when supposedly English speakers can't understand English.

8. forever_town

I was 18 then! I didn't know any better!

9. markvid

markvid Guest

I'd still eat there and I'm 40...it's healthy and cheap.
    :D

10. forever_town

Besides, IJAG, sportschick and wicked can tell you, I did NOT eat Subway at the Inner Harbor last year!

11. Magnum

Magnum Member

Thank you, judge. There's two things I expect when I'm robbed:

1. The gun be pointed at my chest, not my head.

And 2. my robber must speak perfectly good English. There's nothing worse than digging around in my pockets searching for a waffle, only to find out later that he really wanted my wallet.

I hope they stress prepositions as well. I certainly hate when the thugs ask me, "where you keep your money at." I always want to tell them it's not good grammar to end sentences with prepositions, but I usually have a double-barrel down my throat.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

How did I know somebody was actually going to have a problem with this? Oh yeah. 'Cause I spend way too much time on this site and I know how it works.

What exactly would you suggest and please explain how it is better?

Draft saved Draft deleted