1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't be intolerant of my intolerance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jul 10, 2013.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The most watched tv show of the year (besides the super bowl) reaches what, 10% of the country? The biggest broadcast event of the year, the super bowl, reaches half the country.

There are tons of things I have never heard of. This book or guy among them. We all have different tastes, and with the internet, etc we can indulge our own tastes.

Outside of knowing who the president is, I am not expecting people to have any common interests.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I probably wouldn't have, either, but I imagine that's the case with most books. It's a different stratosphere of popularity, but I imagine that name recognition for "The Da Vinci Code" is orders of magnitude higher than for Dan Brown.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

That's why I have my EW subscription. I especially don't follow Top 40 music so I never want to go into an audition for a commercial or contemporary musical without understanding possible references. :)

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

When Andrew Wiggins signed with Kansas the KU message boards had about half the posters going "OMG, we have to come up with an Ender's Game nickname," and the other half wondering what the hell they were talking about. I had never heard of it before that.

5. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Never heard of him or the book. Ask me in 10 minutes and I will probably have forgotten about him and his book.

6. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Well, I've heard of him. :)

I, too, am genuinely surprised that more people on here -- a site full of readers and writers -- apparently do not know of Card or his work.

Take a trip through a library and you're sure to run across his writing.

7. Big Circus

Thank God there's someone here who will hang out with me and my 20-sided die.

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Those of you who are familiar with Card's writing -- did you enjoy "Ender's Game"? Ender received so much love and attention and was portrayed as so superior to his peers, it almost read like a bit of wish fulfillment by someone who felt he wasn't loved enough as a child.

9. BenPoquette

BenPoquette Active Member

Well, I don't think that could be avoided :D

My Sci-Fi reading pretty much begins and ends with Stranger in a Strange Land. Not a big non-fiction guy.

10. Big Circus

I actually laughed out loud at that.

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it when I was 14 or whatever the first time I read it. I REALLY enjoyed it, actually. It's like a video game in print. Was one of my favorite books for awhile.

I've read it maybe once since, though. I don't think my opinion changed, but its been awhile.

I did get sick of the sequels for the reasons you mentioned. I couldn't even start the first line of sequels, Speaker of the Dead and whatnot. Boring. The others — Ender's Shadow and those — I really enjoyed at first, but eventually the "these 9-year olds are the smartest humans ever" just became too much. He really, really, really beats that thought in readers' minds as the series rolls on.

This whole debate is rather interesting. I'm shocked he's not aware enough of his audience to keep his trap shut. I guess I've never spent much time considering the political affiliations the sci-fi world, but I would assume it's creators and customers would be liberal.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I just finished reading Ender's Game, and I don't think they were the smartest on the planet, but the youngest could be molded into what the people wanted. I think an adult would have seen the long play being done on them, and someone who was cognizant of what was going on would not have been able to make that final decision.

And it is a very good book.

Draft saved Draft deleted