1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don't ask questions, don't take notes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cubbiebum, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Williston, yes the one in North Dakota, has a bit of a controversy brewing. A judge granted a restraining order against a new reporter. From what I have heard, and as the story states, the reporter was at the city commission meeting. He followed a pastor out after a topic and asked questions while taking notes. The pastor filed for a restraining order because he didn't like that he was followed. The judge granted it.

I used to cover those same city commission meetings and it was common place to follow a person out and ask some questions to get more detail. Did it most meetings.

I also knew a bit about this pastor. I never talked to him directly but I heard he goes around town to prominent people and constantly bugs them to speak about his beliefs. I have also heard he pushes for creationism and creationism only to be taught in the schools. I tried to call him once for a story about a year ago and he declined an interview.

The pastor is ... well ... not very pastorly. My problem isn't really with him though. It's with the judge. No law was broken and the reporter was not harassing. He was simply doing his job. The judge is so completely in the wrong it is baffling.

There is a very strong push by locals to rid the town of "non-locals" due to the massive influx of oil people. It seems as if the judge is caught up in that and wanted to teach a new reporter who just came to town a lesson.

http://www.willistonherald.com/news/herald-reporter-given-a-restraining-order/article_d6df6604-c13a-11e1-b904-001a4bcf887a.html

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

My other question is, in a small town where you are the only news source, how do you cover the story? It should be reported on but how do you do it?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The paper needs to file suit immediately to vacate the order. As in, by 9 a.m. tomorrow.

Don't fuck around.

Bend over for this one, you'll bend over for all of them.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I assume an ME hasn't been hired yet, right?

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I wouldn't know; I live a thousand or so miles away.

Whether or not they have an ME, they have a publisher, or at least somebody authorized to sign checks.

If they let this one slide, any time they ask anybody a question more probing than "do you like vanilla ice cream?", they'll be slapped with a restraining order.

6. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

No ME yet. They have someone from corporate helping out until a new ME is hired. He called me a few weeks ago trying to get me to come back for one and a half times what I was making. Ironic because I quit over pay.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Locals only? Think of how much that's gonna save SportsJournalists.com on server space when there are openings.

8. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

He thinks taking notes is an act of aggression? Has he ever met a reporter before?

9. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Exactly. I can live with a moron being paranoid. I would rather not live with a judge with a bias that is blinding.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This is a journalism topic, but Starman is right. Legal action needs to be taken or this can become a pattern all too quickly.

11. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

If this is the precedent set, I'd like to file a restraining order keeping some media execs away from news organizations.

12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Judge not named in the story, should have been. More on the pastor and the "overnighters":
    http://www.jamestownsun.com/event/article/id/164178/

Two things: WTF is going on in Idaho that people are driving from St. Louis to seek jobs, and I guess Reinke was not intimidated by the female reporter doing a puff piece?

Draft saved Draft deleted