1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Don't ask, don't tell"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Feb 2, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, heck, if serving in the military isn't a right, can we just exclude the Jews and blacks too, while we're at it?

The point about rights was that we shouldn't have government-sanctioned policies of discriminating against people based on things like race, religion and I'd add, their sexual preference, which is a private matter. No matter how you parse it and whatever semantics anyone tries to use, it's simply bigotry that serves no purpose beyond the same old tried-and-true ritual of a majority singling out a minority for discrimination.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

When the Armed Forces Chief of Staff favors removing it, the days of DADT are numbered. It's just a matter of when Pelosi will let it go to the floor.

If we were using a civil rights parallel as a measuring stick (and only as such), we'd be at 1946 sr so, before the armed forces integrated. It took another eight years for Brown vs. Board and another decade after Brown for the Civil Rights Act, and pockets of racism remained long afterward. So the gay rights movement still has a long ways to go. But this is a big one for them.

3. From the guy who was ranting yesterday about how Obama hadn't accomplished anything he promised to do in office.

And from the guy who makes posts with 30 exclamation marks with all caps about how the government should stay out of our lives.

For being a big libertarian, you sure do like to bash The Gay when opportunity knocks.

This is completely uncontroversial. Gates is on board. Mullen is on board. It's not a fringe issue. We are fighting wars on two fronts and dismissing Arabic linguists because of who they sleep with. That's insane. And dangerous.

On the same topic, I hope Scalia, Roberts, Thomas, Alito, and Kennedy are thinking long and hard about what is going to be coming across their bench at some point soon. Because they are going to get to choose their legacy. I think Roberts is too smart to end up on the wrong side of history.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Imagine the money saved if we elimananted litigation on these "special interests " and war on drugs. It would be billions that could be put to better use.

20 years from now our kids will be able to stop into 7/11 for a gram and their dating choices will have expanded by 50%

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I take it you're not much of a multitasker. How much time do you think Obama really needs to spend on this issue?

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

When have I ever bashed homosexuals?

Ever?

I've consistently said that homosexuals should be allowed to marry and frankly if homosexuals want to tell the world who they are, I don't give a shit about that either.

I thought don't ask don't tell was a stupid - and typical bullshit tap dance -- by Slick Willy when it started and still do. There was no reason for it in the first place.

But Obama's "promise" to end this policy was nothing more than placating a left-wing group that helped get him elected.

Don't make it more than that and don't celebrate it like he's done some grand sweeping thing to make America better.

There are far, far bigger problems and issues he has to occupy his time -- this is something that wasn't or isn't pressing.

The fact that he's made a total abortion out of the healthcare reform, well, that IS pressing.

7. zagoshe

If he's spending more than five minutes on it -- and that includes two minutes for the press conference - it is too much time.

We have serious problems facing this country and this isn't one of them.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The Dr. Seuss school of Libertarianism.

9. Do you want me to dig up the post from earlier this week or last about how gays are trying to impose their morals and end people's "traditional way of life" re: gay marriage?

10. "We've got to fight communism wherever it is. That's what matters right now. If LBJ spends more than five minutes on this civil rights legislation ..."

11. zagoshe

Yes, please do.

12. zagoshe

Sorry, horrible comparison on so many levels I won't even dignify it.

Draft saved Draft deleted