1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Don't ask, don't tell"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by WaylonJennings, Feb 2, 2010.

1. I am completely and utterly baffled about what pissed you off. Slowly: If I were in the military, I would considering it insulting to hear someone, either civilians or my higher-ups, imply that asking me to work alongside gay soldiers would be too much for me too handle, the implication being that I was an unenlightened grunt who couldn't deal with someone different.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

JFC. I'm done.

3. WTF are you so pissed off about???

Answer the question instead of having a temper tantrum about it.

4. I swear sometimes military people, God bless them for their service, have the world's most out-of-control persecution complexes.

5. three_bags_full

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

TBF, I read what he said as "If I was in the military, it would annoy me that there appear to be others that think I am not enlightened enough to serve side by side with a gay person, as if that somehow has any bearing on my ability to be a professional." I really don't think he was being insulting or trying to say anything negative about members of the armed forces. Reread his original post. There was nothing insulting intended. Honest.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

That's how I saw it. I'm not sure why TBF is all worked up.

8. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

These.

9. Good Frank Rich column today in The Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/07/opinion/07rich.html?em

He seems to agree with some of my early posts on this thread that this is going to be an enormous watershed turning point for gay civil rights. Public sentiment has absolutely turned, and people are being forced to scramble to somehow defend what is nothing more than pure bigotry. Most of them, Rich points out, have been remarkably silent. Other than a few holdouts, the right is giving up on this battle, which worked so well once upon a time for Karl Rove. I love the fact that some of the GOP senators who for years hid behind their "support of the military brass" are being exposed.

Simultaneously, Prop 8 is going to be struck down all the way up the 9th Circuit chain, where the pro-Prop 8 side is just getting slaughtered right now. It's about time to invoke the 10-run rule. And then it's the Supreme Court's turn. Could be one they teach in the history books.

10. three_bags_full

I was about to post the same thing, Waylon. Beat me to it.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Eric Massa single handedly sinking revision to gays in the military policy.

12. printdust

printdust New Member

When Nancy Pelosi's kids leave their nooks and go to Afghanistan, she should have the right to demand who is in the military.

I trust our officers to know what is best for our country. Their asses are on the line, not hers. End of story.

Draft saved Draft deleted