1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donovan McNabb - Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 2, 2015.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Top 100 NFL QBs of all time. Who ya got?

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Y.A. Tittle is way before my time.

But isn't a difference that Simms was a career Giant?

You think of Tittle with the Giants, because they were a really good team and he was old and revived his career there (but didn't win a championship, the way Simms did) and there is that photo of him from the NFL Championship game, looking old.

But wasn't Tittle really a San Francisco 49er as much as he was a Giant?

I know that his career with the Niners isn't why he is in the HOF, but for me Simms is more synonymous with the Giants -- even if Simms belongs nowhere near the HOF, obviously.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  3. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

If both retired today, Rodgers would get in over Eli.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I didn't "dodge" shit. The disparity in eras isn't as meaningful in this case as people make it out to be. Much like the "Kelly threw more TDs" argument.

McNabb never led the NFL in passing, correct. Neither did Kelly. He led the league in TD passes once. Kelly was no doubt innovative and unique, but how, exactly, was he so much better than his peers than McNabb was to his? One doesn't need freakish Drew Brees numbers to be a good and exceedingly efficient QB in this era. McNabb is near the top of the all-time list in interception percentage, while Kelly is barely in the top 100. That's not something that differs much from era to era.

Kelly was a top 10 quarterback in an era with Marino, Elway, Montana, Young, Moon and Favre, all HOFers and Favre is a lock.

McNabb was a top 10 quarterback in an era with Manning, Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Warner and Rodgers, all of whom are or will be HOF locks.

5. JackReacher

McNabb's career similar players on Pro Football Reference: Bradshaw, McNair, Kelly, Bledsoe, Esiason, Griese, Hadl, Roethlisberger, Aikman, Brunell.

Some decent company. Still not a HOFer.

6. I think McNabb will get in. It may be decades, but I think he'll get in.

7. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah, I saw that list too and came to the same conclusion. I think him and Bledsoe were really different players, but kind of similar from a history perspective. Both came into not-so-great situations and got their squads to the playoffs multiple times, but ultimately weren't Super Bowl winners or consistent MVP candidates. If you don't get into the HOF on the "peak value" standard (Warner, maybe Eli with the multiple SBs), then I think you need 10+ seasons of really good play to be a lock. It probably doesn't help for either one that when the end came, it came quick and badly, and on new teams.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I never thought of McNabb as one of the best QBs in the league, but as one of the better ones. I have never thought of him as a Hall of Famer, and am kind of surprised this thread still lives.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

A couple of the most overrated QBS of all time on that list.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I don't think Eli Manning is in, or at least he shouldn't be. I would put in Warner well before him, or Roethlesberger. I'm also not convinced that McNabb is a better candidate than Cunningham, but I haven't checked the numbers.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Neither was Kelly.

McNabb finished second to Faulk in MVP voting in 2000. Kelly finished second to Thurman Thomas in 1991. That's pretty much it for either of them.

And, I keep coming back to this: McNabb threw three TDs in one Super Bowl, and Kelly threw two TDs (and seven INTs) in four Super Bowls. And Kelly's two came in the same game - meaning he threw ZERO touchdowns in his three other SB appearances.

12. JackReacher

It's going to be awesome when the Philly voter goes into the HOF meeting and says "Jim Kelly is in. McNabb should be in." If only they could air that live on TV.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted