1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donovan McNabb - Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Why do you hate Jim Zorn?

JackReacher likes this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

3. joe king

joe king Active Member

Warner isn't the greatest QB in Rams history -- that's Van Brocklin (and Waterfield is in the Hall, too).

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I don't know that I even consider McNabb borderline. People may disagree. He'll probably start playing the race card as soon as it gets close. I don't know if that will make a difference or not. I remember, I don't know if it was last year's Super Bowl when someone asked him if he thought he would get in and he said something, "Unequivocally, yes..." rather than say something like, "Well, that would certainly be a honor, and we'll see if that's in the cards..." I don't fault him for being honest, even if I think he's delusional.

It's interesting with quarterbacks, we went a long time between a worthy QB not getting in on the first try. I think Fouts was the last to get in who didn't get in on the first try. Now Warner has to wait at least a year and we'll see if McNabb ever gets in.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Debating Warner vs. Van Brocklin would be exhausting and very annoying, but Warner is at least a close second, right?

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Fouts got in on the first try.

Len Dawson was the last who had to wait, and he went in on his third try in 1987

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

No on McNabb. But boy, it sure was fun watching him throw dirtballs for a few games in my favorite team's uniform!

8. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I do think he will get to the final 15 quicker than most would think.

Favre is going next year on the first ballot, so Warner is going to be his only competition for top QB for awhile when McNabb becomes eligible in 2017. I think he'd get into the room for discussion in either 2019 or 2020 at the latest. 2018 is so stacked I can't see him breaking through that year

9. RecoveringJournalist

I don't think this is a "wait your turn" situation with McNabb. Favre is going in first ballot. Warner will get in at some point.

It's just really hard to put McNabb in the same category as those guys. Warner's situation is strange enough as is, but he has two MVPs and went to three Super Bowls. Personally, I don't see McNabb getting in.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly, which is why MC dodged that part of the discussion.

11. RecoveringJournalist

Do people still think Eli is a lock?

12. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

To me, McNabb isn't a Hall of Fame guy - I don't think he had the peak value of a Kurt Warner, or the overall career excellence of a HoF QB. He made six Pro Bowls, but as far as I can tell, never made an All-Pro team. (I'm not sure if the NFL doesn't release down-ballot MVP vote totals, or if it's simply not in the Pro Football Reference database.) He never led the league in a significant (TD, passing yards, completions, rushing yardage) QB category. Excluding his first and last season, he played 16 games only four out of nine seasons, which includes three that he had less than 10 games.

The comparison in this thread is mostly to Jim Kelly, whereas to me, I think he has more in common with Ben Roethlisberger, but the latter was a bit better. McNabb is a "Hall of Very Good" guy for me. Both were / are bigger QBs who were able to play with a variety of nagging injuries that probably hurt their overall career value, but McNabb doesn't have the peak moments Roethlisberger does.

Draft saved Draft deleted