1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donovan McNabb - Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 2, 2015.

1. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Rush Limbaugh will address this on his show Tuesday

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The stats are from the link, not from me.

I do, however, co-opt and add to one of the statements made therein: McNabb is a less likable and slightly better Jim Kelly with three fewer Super Bowl appearances and the same amount of rings.

So, if Kelly is in ...

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I know you're joking, but in reality McNabb's time with the Redskins probably killed any HOF chances he had. He was borderline when he left the Eagles -- stats that were comparable to the best of the last decade, before the passing explosion of the last 5-6 years raised the bar, and team success that many would envy -- but that all got flushed straight to hell in that one miserable season with the Skins. He absolutely destroyed his legacy there, and any chance at Canton with it.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I do not accept your premise that McNabb was better than Kelly. What is your basis for that claim?

JC likes this.
  5. MisterCreosote

Hey, Jordan's years in DC evidently don't count in his legacy. Why should McNabb's?

This place really is a black hole of shittiness, though. Amazing anyone gets out alive.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Neither do I, not even close.

7. MisterCreosote

He was much less turnover-prone and had much less talent to work with aside from his one year with TO.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Kelly threw more touchdowns in fewer games and completed a higher percentage of his passes. Also, the largest changes in the game came before either arrived, but it has become more quarterback friendly over time, which likely helped to boost McNabb's numbers given that his rookie year came three seasons after Kelly's final season.

Kelly was also asked to do different things. I can see the argument, but it is not nearly as clear as you presented it to be and you can see I'm far from the only one to disagree with your opinion of the comparison.

9. MisterCreosote

Well, then, it's a good thing it's a deliberation process and I don't have the power to unilaterally induct anyone.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Syracuse University HOF? Sure.

Canton? No. It's not the Hall of Very Good.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

LOL

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Count me the "no way he's better than Kelly" camp, too. Kelly also gets points for helping re-define the game. He and Warren Moon helped turn the run-and-shoot from being considered a joke to an offence that could build winning teams.

Draft saved Draft deleted