1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donovan McNabb (crybaby) and De La Hoya (robbed?) **VIDEO**

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by John D. Villarreal, May 11, 2007.

?

Years after Rush's comments on ESPN how do you veiw McNabb now as a QB?

1. He is one of the best ever! Montana who?

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. One of the elite QB's in the league

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  3. Rush was right! He is pretty good but not that great

7 vote(s)
    35.0%
  4. Below average

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. He sucks! This guys always gets hurt, crys about eveything & ruins teams!

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Hey all,

Rok & I delivered again. We break down the latest Donovan McNabb/Eagles draft pick controversy (what kind of voodoo doll has Mama McNabb have on Any Reid & the GM over there?) & the De La Hoya fight.

Here they are:

McNabb:

Oscar part 1:

Oscar part 2:

I think Oscar should have won & Rok and I tell you why. Rok also reveals an online source he does some writing for (for the stalker types on SJ - lol)

I will post a McNabb poll here and redo the Oscar poll (since we have a thread for that) as to how ppl think post fight about the outcome.

Also, don't worry the SJ parody bits are coming soon, I just didn't have time last night before I went out to do those right.

John

2. John D. Villarreal

Ok, just deleted this thread in the AG section. Sorry for the mixup guys. Now we have everything straight.

And F of F - we will do the Witlock vs. Scoop spoof (plus other SJ favorites!) soon. It is only that that is such pure gold that it has to be done right.

Normally, I can just "fire & forget" with my TV/Radio stuff (no notes, no prep, and one take) and get solid results (as I have for all of my vids on You Tube), but for something like that you really want to do it justice ;)

JDV

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

This is not news. It goes in Anything Goes. I put it there for a reason. Fuck an a.

4. I can't wait.

5. Sorry, butterator, but everything JDV does is news.

6. John D. Villarreal

Hmm, this poll is getting interesting.

I (and I am sure ESPN & Rush Limbaugh for sure if he hears about it) will be VERY interested in how this poll turns out.

I think this is one of those times where we can go back with 20/20 hidsight and properly look at an important SJ event.

Thus, your votes will be an important judgement on that event from inside experts, which is why I tried to craft the poll Q's with precision.

This result (your judgement) is news.

John D. Villarreal

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

I really don't get these things. How were you "up close and personal" to the fight? You watched it on TV, like millions of other people.

And for once, there really was no argument about the result. The only reporter at ringside who had Oscar winning was Ron Borges, and he changed his mind. I had it a draw, but I admittedly gave every questionable round to Oscar, because he was the aggressor (and because his winning would be better for my story, wishful thinking). But the punch stat numbers were overwhelming -- Oscar couldn't land shit despite some serious flurries; that, and because Howard Lederman had it so decisively for Floyd, and because even Oscar wasn't all that emphatic about his winning during the post-fight press conference, any debate was cooled off almost immediately. And believe me, fight writers love a good debate. There just wasn't one here. It was as unanimous as a split decision can be.

But what do I know?

8. John D. Villarreal

Ah, I wondered what happened FH. I thought it was my mistake in placement.

It doesn't much matter to me. However, my understanding was that this section is for the discussion of sports & news events. Thus, I wanted to be sure it was properly categorized.

I mean this is exactly what that is - a discussion of timely sports events.

Also, please see my above post. I think that the poll results (if enough SJ's vote) is certainly news concerning many aspects of SJ (McNabb, ESPN, Rush) and a controversy that gained national attention.

So, right I am cool either way but I would think this is a S&N topic.

Please advise,

John

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Yes, it's a discussion for sports and news events. It's not a discussion about a discussion about events that someone with a big ego watched on tv.

10. I'm sure the WWL has someone checking the results every 10 minutes or so.

11. John D. Villarreal

Yeah, I disagree.

A draw I could see. There are a lot of criteria in boxing as to who wins a round. However, the best way I heard it described was "at the end of the round who would you have rather been that round?). Under that description I would have much rather been ODL much of the fight.

James toney won a lot of fights throwing & landing less punches bc he would hurt guys with the shots he threw, while they were trying to keep him away by jabbing, etc. Also, I do NOT beleive the PS numbers were picking up all of ODL's bodyshots.

DL was landing by far the harder shots and totally made the fight. PBF was running the whole fight and many of his shots landed were pats off the break.

I do agree that if it was amatuer boxing on pure punches landed (regardless of strength) PBF won, but in terms of a pro fight - ODL should have squeeked it out.

JDV

12. I saw the fight. And I agree with the decision.

DLH has himself to blame for the outcome.

Draft saved Draft deleted