1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donovan Going Back to Florida?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writer200707, Jun 3, 2007.

1. I've had to do that quite a few times on the news side. Just follow someone in.

2. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

The best thing that ever happened -- ethically -- to ESPN.com/Andy Katz is that they now have someone to compete with them/kick their ass/call them on their BS. This is great. It carries a lot more wait when Foxsports calls ESPN to complain about being shafted on a scoop than it does when my Big City Metro thinks about calling, then gives up because ESPN is ESPN.
    A side note, I love that Dave Curtis (of the Sentinel) knocked on Donovan's door at midnight. That's tremendous.

3. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

And nice to see AP has just stuck with FoxSports and not included ESPN's "report."

4. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

There's classy/ethical people out there, led by Dave Morgan. They do it right.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Are we sure Donovan signed a contract with Orlando or could it be that he signed an agreement or memorandum of understanding to accept the job if both sides agree on terms?

There is a difference.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

That was my first thought. I know it's part of the job, but man, that can't be a fun trip.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

damn starman, i like to think i'm a hardass, but shit, sometimes people have buyer's remorse.

if i were the magic, i'd much rather have someone working for me that wanted to work for me than having somebody who spent every moment on the job preoccupied and dreaming of gainesville.

8. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

9. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

And ESPN's reaction to this is just par for the course. It's not like ESPN isn't an ethics nightmare. They use their most recognizable subjects in advertisements, for shit's sake.

And while the ads are often funny, they certainly aren't ethical.

10. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Everybody knows and accepts that Katz is a mouthpiece. I'm OK with that. I've made similar compromises, and most good reporters have.

But Katz should not be president of USBWA. I would love to take an poll of members and get in writing instances where Katz pulled crap like this.

Props to Curtis to go to Donovan's house. I've never been in a position where I've had to do that, but I might one day. I feel emboldened.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

What money starman? The Magic haven't paid him anything yet.
    Sue Donovan for breach of contract? What are your damages?

As for FOX suing ESPN because "this shit has got to stop" again I ask, sue for what? What are the damages?
    And who, outside of some people in the business (maybe not even a majority of people in the business) cares who broke the story?

12. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

You know what I think must happen. Katz scours the internet for scoops/stories all the time on his blackberry. When he sees Goodman has something juicy, he must call up his editors and say, 'I got a big story brewing. Gonna make some more calls and get back to you.' Then, when he has the story hammered out, his editors tell ESPNews 'Hey, Andy broke this huge story, go with it.' Twenty minutes later, someone actually checks the internet and goes, 'No, Andy. You didn't break this one either. Just report it as straight news, guys.'
    Doesn't that seem plausible?

Draft saved Draft deleted