1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donovan Going Back to Florida?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writer200707, Jun 3, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Did he sign a contract or were there details/fine tuning being completed, even though they already had the presser?
    Most stories I've read said he agreed to a 5-year, $27.5 mill contract.
    If he didn't sign anything, the Magic are SOL.

2. IU90

IU90 Member

I know ESPN's somewhat known for doing this, but how many times has Katz specifically been falsely given credit for a scoop? I vaguely recall at least a couple others.

3. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

He signed. I believe ESPN or the Sentinel just reported that they're working out legal stuff right now.

4. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I doubt Grant would think twice about the UF job should it be offered. It's a huge opportunity for a lot of money and at a blossoming basketball program in what is becoming a big-time basketball conference. He's done about as much as he could at VCU--they beat Duke (whether Duke was overrated or not is irrelevant) and came damn close to the Sweet Sixteen.

That said, his job at UF would definitely be tough. Florida probably isn't even an SEC Title team next year unless something bizarre happens in Knoxville, and with Felton building at UGa, Vandy building into a consistent contender and Kentucky seeming to improve under Gillispie (at least in overall talent level, thus far), the SEC East isn't going to be an easy place to play.

But none of that would be enough to keep him out of Gainesville should Billy D remain in Orlando. What a circus.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Gatorland couldn't come up with enough money to match what the Magic gave him.

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

Fuck Katz and fuck ESPN. After seeing the Goodman story, I checked ESPN instantly. Nothing.

Andy has pulled this shit on me before (I don't want to out myself), but honestly, there isn't much you can do. The first time it happened, I had my editor call ESPN to complain because it is an UNETHICAL business practice. But that went nowhere.

If I were Goodman, I'd ask Fox to sue ESPN. This shit has to stop.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

BREAKING NEWS Alert
    Donovan Having Second Thoughts?

Apparently, in Billy Donovan's world, the grass isn't greener in the NBA. According to sourcesthat guy with FoxSports that kicked my ass, Donovan -- who on Thursday signed a five-year, $27.5 million contract with Orlando -- has approached the Magic about getting out of the deal and returning to the University of Florida, where he coached the Gators to the last two national championships. The decision, according to the sourcesthat guy with FoxSports who kicked my ass, rests with the Magic. Andy Katz

8. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

So the Goodman article reports that Donovan hasn't yet signed a contract in Orlando, but Katz said on ESPN just now that the contract has been signed, though some particulars need to be worked out.

What gives?

9. ShelbyFoote

ShelbyFoote Member

One difference:

Katz is reporting Donovan signed the Orlando contract.

Goodman is reporting that he hasn't signed the deal.

I guess there's a chance they both found out about the development about the same time ... not trying to be Andy Katz's apologist.

10. ShelbyFoote

ShelbyFoote Member

Ah, College Journalist beat me to it.

11. ShelbyFoote

ShelbyFoote Member

The following is from the Orlando Sentinel story. It sounds like a fun way to pass the time at midnight on a Sunday:

In response to a midnight visit by the Sentinel to Donovan's house in a gated Gainesville community, UF assistant coach Larry Shyatt answered the door. Shyatt, whom Donovan said would accompany him to the Magic, said, "You guys can't talk to him now."
    UF spokesman Fred Demarest declined comment on the report.

12. IU90

IU90 Member

Maybe so, Shelby, but I will say that I checked ESPN's site several times after I first saw this thread to see what they had on it, and I'd say there was nothing for at least a half-hour after I first checked (and I don't how long after the Fox story was first posted).

I can't believe for a second that the folks at ESPN were unaware that the Fox site had already reported this information when they repeatedly stated on-air that Katz "broke" the story. Sounds unethical to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted