1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donna Shalala

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SoSueMe, Jan 30, 2007.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I don't know, Yawn. If Rudy Giuliani gets elected, does that mean we get that bastion of ethics and moral flexibilty Bernie Kerik back in Washington.

And Donna Shalala was a visible chancellor at the University of Wisconsin before she came to Washington. So once again -- just like the current administration -- you're behind the loop.

2. scribbler357

scribbler357 Member

[
    "We can settle this like gentlemen, or we can get into some old gangster shit." - Ed Wunsler, Sr.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Nixon begat Cheney.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Nixon also begat the Department of Education and the Environmental Protection Agency and I don't hear you bitching about that.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Too easy: You're wrong about the first (very wrong, in fact). I will give you half-credit on the EPA, but the DofE error is easily checked.

The Department of Education has its roots in the old Department of Health, Education and Welfare, a cabinet-level agency that existed from 1953 to early 1980. The DofE was split off from HEW as a result of the Department of Education Organization Act, signed by President Carter 17 OCT 1979; the DofE's first day as an independent agency was 04 MAY 1980.

The EPA sprang from the National Environmental Policy Act, a piece of legislation Congress shoved down a less-than-willing Nixon's throat in December 1969. To his credit, Nixon was a savvy enough politician to recognize how the prevailing winds were blowing (opinion polls were almost unanimously reporting that most Americans felt the environment was in Seriously Deep Shit and wanted the government to do Something Significant About The Problem, and preferably Right Bloody Well Now, too). He signed the bill 01 JAN 1970 and made the environmental issue a key point of his State Of The Union address that year. Nixon's commission on governmental reorganization issued a report strongly recommending the establishment of an independent agency to coordinate all the executive branch's environmental activities, and although Nixon initially resisted expanding the bureaucracy he was eventually won over to the idea that it would be better to have an independent agency rather than one beholden to commerce or agriculture.

Like I said, you get half-credit. It wasn't something Nixon came up with on his own.

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Waiting on Hillary's appointment notices:

[​IMG]

"Don't tread on me, sucker!"

[​IMG]

"Most of the people who die with heart disease and cancer are our elderly population . . . we all will probably die with something sooner or later."

7. Oh, my, we are really going to get into the relative merits of presidential appointees with fanboys of the folks who've given us Michael Brown and a cast of thousands?
    This will be fun.

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

Have at it, Fen.

Bush might say: It takes one to know onw.

The biggest, to borrow BYH's catch-phrase, "douchebags," are the parasites that work for presidents.

Draft saved Draft deleted