1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donkey baseball?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RedCanuck, Aug 22, 2011.

1. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Every week, I do a 'this week in history' sort of column for the paper. Today, I found reference to a donkey baseball game from the 1950s. Apparently, all the players except the pitcher, catcher, and batter mounted donkeys and played the game on them. When the batter hit, he had to get on his donkey to ride around the base paths.

I looked it up on the 'net and it appears some rural communities still do this. Anyone ever heard of it or seen a game?

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Never heard of donkey baseball, but one of our local schools did donkey basketball as a fundraiser a few years back. Same premise, different sport. Probably pissed off the janitor something fierce, though.

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

It was long before my time, but donkey baseball and basketball used to be around here all the time as fundraisers. It seems like I have memories of hearing people talking about it when I was a kid in the 70s, but I never saw it.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I saw a donkey baseball game at a small park in Chicago when I was a kid. Pretty neat.

5. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

Donkey baseball/basketball was big for years as a fundraiser and during smalltown carnivals and the like. Kind of a Saturday-afternoon thing. This is the first reference to donkey baseball I've seen in years.

6. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Yeah, but you damn reporters never cover donkey soccer..they work just as hard.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Good luck to the poor sap who has to take reams of mule track and field agate.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

You just wait until they crown the new Donkeyweight champion at UFC 148.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The donkey marching band parents are the worst.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Agreed. They are such asses.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Donkey baseball was a fairly popular gimmick for traveling amateur/semipro teams of the Depression era.

The House of David team, specifically, was well known for its donkey baseball games.

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/excerpts/excerpt.php?book=house_of_david&page=18

[​IMG]

It mostly died out in the '50s and early '60s, when amateur/semipro ballgames no longer served as viable sources of entertainment in rural communities.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Donkey show. There, I said it. Someone had to. Carry on.

Draft saved Draft deleted