1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donating Money Back To Your Old J-School

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, May 8, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I remember the time I was quoted in The Baltimore Sun when my friend and I watched Maryland eventually lose to Florida State in football back in 2001. The Sun reporter botched my last name (which can be easy to do, I admit).

The day it appeared in the paper, someone addressed me by screen name (I didn't knowingly out myself there either) and congratulated me for being quoted in The Sun and offered commisserations about the paper spelling my last name wrong.

Freaked me out ever so slightly.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Just what I want to do: Donate money to a place that teaches kids to to my work cheaper...

3. zonazonazona

zonazonazona New Member

A former fellow classmate and I started a scholarship at the campus newspaper.... honoring "sustained excellence" (i.e. - someone who dedicated years of their college experience, but grew and became successful in the process)... nothing against the J-school i attended, but i know where most of my experience/dedication/care for this industry and my craft came from, and that was the campus daily. I'd rather give back to students there (who subsequently are in the j-school too, so indirectly the money goes to the same place) rewarded for their hard work.

4. Walter Burns

Walter Burns Member

I used to give the University $50 a year. I felt some sense of gratitude.
    I quit giving 'em money when they gave a teaching award to the cocksucker who said that despite my A, I didn't deserve to pass my freshman English my comp class.
    After that, fuck 'em.

Draft saved Draft deleted