1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donating Money Back To Your Old J-School

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, May 8, 2008.

1. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

Every quarter I got a new letter asking for money. I didn't make a lot working for newspapers, so I never gave.

Now, I'm in a different business and make twice what I did. Fuck 'em, I still don't give.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I have one nearly as fundamentally important reason to not donate to the J-school: I never went there.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Don't give money to colleges. Nobody wastes more money than colleges, and most of them are already wealthy beyond all reason. There are so many other worthy causes where your donation would help people in genuine need.

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'll think about it when i get those student loans paid off. My J-School really helped me hit the ground running when I got my first job, and from what I've seen, that's not as common as I assumed it was. So I've got nothing but good feelings about my J-School.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I'd donate to the Post, which is independent, but Ohio's J-school gets more than enough money from Scripps, among other entities.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My university is talking about getting rid of its J-school, and it should.

Every single year, more people graduate from journalism schools than there are total editorial jobs in all daily papers in the U.S.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Starman, by that logic universities would stop offering degree programs in all kinds of areas. Why major in archaeology, nobody's hiring!

We know the skills taught in a journalism school can be applied to countless professions. Part of the future success of j-schools will be getting graduates steered into directions they never thought of going. Seniors can't just stumble into the guidance office six months before graduation, thumb through a zillion entry-level newspaper and TV job listings, send 50 resumes and be sure of getting a job.

8. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

My J-school's never called me. I think we have an understanding.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

For four years after I graduated, I kicked a small amount -- usually $75 or $100 a year -- to my alma-mater's comm school. And I did this working at pissant papers.

Then, some whack-job administrator got the Wile E. Coyote brainstorm to fire all the non-PhDs in the comm school, because -- in the immortal words of the prophet Lewis Black -- "Why the F*** not?"

This ended the teaching careers of some damn good profs, most notably the advisor to the school paper, a former city editor of a mid-sized SoCal paper (at 24), the former press secretary to Tom Bradley when he was mayor of LA and a damn good instructor who inspired the careers of countless Titans in the print field.

So this ended my donation string to my alma-mater.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The university I went to had a Web site run by two students that included a forum where students could bitch about everything under the sun. Even one or two administrators were on there to get a sense of student sentiment.

Then another administrator sent a cease and desist letter to the students threatening a lawsuit because they used the derivative of the team's nickname as part of the URL. Despite overwhelming opposition from many students who wanted the site to remain up, the students shut it down.

Ever since then, I have refused to donate so much as a penny to the university. Fuck 'em.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I remember that well. I don't know the guys who ran that, but I am pretty good friends with a couple of people that were tight with them. That was an awesome site.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I'd donate if I thought the money would make it's way down to the teachers that assisted and encouraged me in my time at my school. But since I'm damn certain it won't, and because I see a new something being built on that campus every time I go home, I don't think they're missing my donation.

Draft saved Draft deleted