1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donating Money Back To Your Old J-School

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, May 8, 2008.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

With the current climate being what it is, would you do it, knowing it would obviously be used to help steer more people into a cloudy, distressing job environment?

2. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

This is almost kind of funny. Giving money back to an institution that helped set you up for a career in which you make virtually no money.

Considering my J-school was very good to me, I would consider giving back if I could. But that's the thing, I can't.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

WFW. My fellow Mizzou alums will sympathize, given the all-out bombardment we're getting hit with now as the J-School's centennial approaches. I don't know about y'all, but I don't have $200 to shell out for a glorified class reunion.

4. Mediator

Mediator Member

Yes, give if you have a job. Don't lose faith in what we do just yet. The J Schools still have a place in our business and are one way to cement integrity in young writers. In this climate, those values are more important than ever.

And no, I'm not saying everyone has to go to J School or it's the only way to be ethical. But it's still an important path, and we need to maintain it.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Not if you need the money to pay bills.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I would donate if my J-school was setting up a relief fund for alumni in dead-end careers, or those already out of work, to tap for grocery money.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I used to speak to students at the local j-school each semester. This past year I told them I wouldn't do it because I wouldn't feel right encouraging people to stay in a medium that is rapidly dying.

It's really sad...

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

No. There's nothing I learned in J-school that I didn't learn working part-time or as a stringer at the local rag. The program won't see a cent of mine.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

When I die, I hope to be able to endow a generous scholarship for a student from my hometown to study journalism – a fine profession that's not going away, just making a dramatic transition – anywhere other than my alma mater or Missouri.

My alma mater failed me at a crucial moment after my graduation. I'll not forget that.

And, in my only dealings with Missouri, I was never dealt with in good faith by the people there. And, almost without fail, I have found Missouri J-grads to be unsufferable.

10. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

being a j-school alum is actually the excuse i use when the university calls asking for money. the last time it must have been a j-school student doing the asking, because she immediately let loose with a knowing, "ohhhhhh" and said, "okay. thanks!" before hanging up.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The most rewarding thing I do every year is run a golf tournament with a few of my old classmates, raising money for a J-School scholarship in the name of a friend who died our senior year. At first it was an excuse for a few of us to get together and drink beer; eight years later it has raised tens of thousands of $$ despite the fact that it's organized by us, a bunch of knuckleheads.

Have I heard stories about my old j-school and the direction it's heading? Yes, and I haven't liked a lot of them. But there will always be students who need help.

12. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Dingdingddingdingding! I'll consider giving to the student newspaper, which is independent of university oversight — and gets poo-pooed by the current outgoing dean at every turn, but that will happen when I have the disposable income, not a moment before. And I want very badly to help them out there.

Draft saved Draft deleted