1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donate your books

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

We've discussed this before, the business of finding a new home for books you don't want. We all get too many of them, and you'd like to find some re-use for them. Libraries generally don't want them, Goodwill seems likely to dump them somewhere, so what do you do?

These people

http://www.betterworldbooks.com/

will let you print out a pre-paid mailing label. You put the books in a box, seal it up, slap this label on it and take the box to the Post Office. Doesn't cost you a dime, and they'll make good use of the donations. Plus lugging the box from the car to the counter is good exercise.

2. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

For the life of me, I cannot remember the name of the site, but I remember using it years ago. You could buy (very cheaply) some sticky notes that you put on your books and then you left the books random places for people to take. The sticky notes said something like that the book was yours to take home and enjoy. The profits went to some sort of literacy group. I wish I could remember the name of the company or the program. I thought it was a great idea.

3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Sounds like the marketing plan for Borders.

I keed, I keed...great idea, actually.

4. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

It really was awesome. I wish I could remember what it was called ...

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Sticky for Making Stranges Throw Your Books Away, Inc.

Draft saved Draft deleted