1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donald Trump: Should We Take Him Seriously? (Now leads 2012 GOP Field by 9%)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Re: Donald Trump: Should We Take Him Seriously?

Yeah, for a guy who's made birtherism his cause, he seems very unaware that most of his talking points have already been proven wrong.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Man, it'd be great to see some honest disclosure of what his financial status actually is. A guy whose wealth is hugely tied up in real estate holdings should've taken a brutal beating these last five years, right?

And I'd LOVE it if he'd actually run, it would be entertaining as holy fucking hell, and IMO would do nothing but damage the Republican brand and help Obama's re-election hopes.

But not for a second do I believe it will actually happen.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Outside of the whole birther thing, which is enough to make me not want to vote for him, what turns me off is I don't think he'd be a good president coming in as an outsider. You can't impose your will in our government structure like you do in business, that's what checks and balances are for.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

By descending to the level of Trump, you lower yourself to the level of the pig -- and the pig likes it.

He picked the wrong foe, here. On a day-to-day basis, Collins is the most consistently-good OpEd writer on the prevailing NYT roster -- and it's not close.

5. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

What's that old saying? When you argue with a moron, he drags you down to his level and then beats you with experience.

6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

That makes sense. I always get a kick out of it whenever someone says government should be run like a business or that because a politician never ran a business, he's not fit to run the country.
    If you're running a business and your subordinates don't do what you want them to do, you can fire them. If you're President and Congress or the Supreme court doesn't do what you want them to do, you can't fire them.

7. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Donald Trump Writes Blistering Letter To Gail Collins, New York Times Columnist

The Huffington Post Jack Mirkinson Updated: 04/ 9/11 12:26

Donald Trump lashed out at New York Times columnist Gail Collins in a letter to the paper published on Friday.

Trump was responding to a very negative column Collins wrote last Saturday. In the column, Collins derided Trump's presidential aspirations and mocked him as "the man who can make Bill O'Reilly look like the most sensible guy in the room." And, of course, Collins lambasted Trump's full-throated embrace of the "birther" movement. Moreover, she recounted a previous tangle she'd had with Trump:

During one down period, I referred to him in print as a "financially embattled thousandaire" and he sent me a copy of the column with my picture circled and "The Face of a Dog!" written over it.

Clearly, Trump still counts Collins among his major enemies, because he did not hold back in his letter to the editor:

"Even before Gail Collins was with the New York Times, she has written nasty and derogatory articles about me. Actually, I have great respect for Ms. Collins in that she has survived so long with so little talent. Her storytelling ability and word usage (coming from me, who has written many bestsellers), is not at a very high level. More importantly, her facts are wrong!" http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/09/donald-trump-gail-collins-new-york-times_n_847015.html

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

OK, if there is an election and the following four people are the candidates for President, who would get your vote?

Donald Trump
    Sarah Palin
    Al Sharpton
    Jesse Jackson

9. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Dont forget US Rep. MIchele Bachmann, she can bring the crazy with the best of them.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Beyond the reality that you can't "run government like a business," Trump is horrible nuts-and-bolts guy who is notable mostly for having others polish his golden turds while he fucks over his investors 10 ways to Sunday. Then again, Rick Scott made his money defrauding the government, and that wasn't enough to keep Floridians from hiring that fox to guard their henhouse. So, yeah, I guess we have to take him seriously, certainly as long as polls show him with half a shot at the nomination.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Does Trump really have the education he says he does?
    Saying the kind of shit that he's saying, I seriously doubt he graduated from the Wharton School.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Did you really begin the post with a parallel between Adolf Hitler and Donald Trump?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.