1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donald Trump: Come Kiss the Ring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Do you think Trump is trying to sabotage his campaign?
    He can't be that dumb to make that kind of a comment about McCain. I don't believe he's that tone deaf or stupid.
    I think he's realized he has a decent shot of making some real noise in the GOP primary (not enough to win, but enough to weaken things and hand Clinton the WH) and is scuttling his chances.
    The blue collar GOPers I know have said Trump (prior to his McCain comments) is saying a lot of things that need to be said. I just bit my tongue and nodded my head.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

What absolutely flattens me is how many are still on board even after the McCain comment.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I just hope Trump lasts until the debates.
    He would fuck himself royally on live TV.

But I think he'll find his exit opportunity before then.
    Quit in a huff and say America blew its big chance again.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Oh please let him be in a debate. It'll be so easy to identify the true morons in this country - they'll be the ones claiming Donald won the debate. Bet those same people think every episode of Bar Rescue is real too.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I take a Donald Trump campaign for president about as seriously as I would take a Howard Stern campaign for president. Trump is playing a character, and he knows exactly what he's doing and what buttons he's hitting.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Almost as good as anal cysts.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I don't think so. He's such an ego maniac surrounded by sycophants for 40 years that I think he believes it. That he he truly believes people love him

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

People do love him. That's the thing. He has widespread support with a very vocal minority but it is from that minority that campaign rally crowds come from.

That kind of foundation is like building a house on jello though. It isn't built to last but it looks impressive.

He'll have enough poll support to be in the debates, unless they monkey with the rules to keep him out but if they do that, all it will do is fire up his base that much more.

Again, I find the whole thing fascinating.

9. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I hope he polls well in Iowa and New Hampshire. He's gained so much support up to this point, it would be interesting to see his numbers if he does well there.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

He's speaking to people who have been conditioned to view vitriolic rhetoric as perfectly okay. It's just where it is being directed that some people object to.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

People get a kick out of him. I'm not sure they love him, even in the political sense.

The GOP is forever in search of another Reagan, a man of catchy bromides and classic virility who stays above the fray so Nixonesque wonks can busy making the nation as right-wing as humanly possible. The formula doesn't work when it's candidate spewing bombast; it works when it is blogs and Fox News. W had a chance, but 9/11 - the immediate aftermath of which was probably his finest moment - ultimately soured the rest of his tenure, spotlighting his - and the whole damn construct's - weaknesses.

12. Doom and gloom

Doom and gloom Active Member

Just when Trump was about to electrify a large number of "tired of the status quo" in politics, he says something that was inappropriate. Of course, McCain baited him with "He's damaging the party!" which has sadly turned into senators; No. 1 loyalty, regardless of party affiliation. And alas, it brought out strong condemnation from the convention of GOP candidates. Which for many, has been the first thing they've said while being too busy testing the winds with a wet finger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.