1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donald Trump: Come Kiss the Ring

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Trump has been divorced twice and filed corporate bankruptcy four times.

I am rooting for him to win the Republican nomination for presidency.

I honestly think his own party will take him down from the inside because he just does not seem like a viable candidate to actually win a presidential election, and the people who pull the strings at the GOP probably understand this. They are also desperate to get someone in Oval Office because of all the Supreme Court seats potentially coming open in the next four years.

Trump will scare off more moderate Republicans than he will sway moderate Democrats. Jeb Bush is the guy with the best shot.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

There's a 99.9 percent chance I'll vote Republican in the next election, and there's no way in hell I'll vote for Trump in a primary. I appreciate his candor and the idea that he's outside the traditional system, but he seems too unstable and flaky for me. I'd worry he'd get elected, get about two years into his term, tire of the criticism and political process and say, "Screw it. I'm rich. I don't need this. I'm resigning and going home."
    Apply that personality trait to foreign policy, and we might have a disaster on our hands.
    Even though part of his appeal is his wealth -- he wouldn't have to appease big-money donors if he financed his campaign himself, which I'd bet he'd largely do -- it also makes me mistrust him just a bit when combined with his personality. I could see his economic policies catering to large banks and corporations more than they should, which we've seen isn't necessarily a good thing.

On a fundamental level, I want my president to want to be president for the right reasons. I want him (or her) to genuinely want to make the country a better place. Even though I don't like or agree with most of what Obama has done or how he's carried himself, I do believe that in his heart he thinks he's doing what needs to be done to make the country better. I'd say the same for most of our presidents.
    With Trump, I get the sense that it's an ego and opportunity thing. He doesn't need the presidency, he wants it to put on his mantle like a trophy.
    And, FWIW, I'd say the same thing about Hillary. I think she wants to be president just because it's the logical capstone to her political career, and because she feels it's owed to her after a quarter century on the national stage, and not out of any sense of public altruism.
    The other candidates, on both sides, each have their faults, but I don't think ego gratification is one of them. At least not on the level of Trump and Hillary.

murphyc, Vombatus, SFIND and 2 others like this.
  3. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm sure he was manning the battlements alongside Dick Cheney.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It's gonna' be fun to watch the reaction of the Archie Bunker types who fell in love with Trump based on his illegal Mexicans comment. Those types are usually the ones who love a good circle jerk over the military. I predict about 70-percent say, "woah, Trump crossed the line," while the remainder say, "Guy's just speaking his opinion....and he kinda has a point..."

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

F a buncha Tronald Dump. I can't decide whether he is trying to Costanza us, or is just incredibly dimwitted.

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

McCain let the country down when he selected Palin.

But it was a boost for SNL and Fey.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware McCain was running for president again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.