1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donald Sutherland in Ordinary People

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Elliotte Friedman, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

So, I was watching Ordinary People last night -- great, great movie, had never seen all of it -- and noticed afterward that Mary Tyler Moore, Judd Hirsch and C. Thomas Howell were all nominated for Academy Awards. (Hutton was the only one to win.)

Why not Donald Sutherland?

I looked up the nominees from 1980: Robert De Niro (winner), Raging Bull; Robert Duvall (Great Santini); John Hurt (Elephant Man); Jack Lemmon (Tribute) and Peter O'Toole (The Stuntman). I saw the first three, and they were all great. Did not see the other two.

For those of you old enough to remember, was Sutherland shafted here?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Re: Donald Sutherland

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Having seen everything but the Lemmon, can't deny De Niro, who carried what to me was the best movie of the '80s.

Still, I get silly about The Stunt Man. Vastly-underrated. O'Toole's his usual
    flamboyant self, and Barbara Hershey's gorgeous.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Can we put a little more info in the title? I was ready for another RIP thread...

Ordinary People is one of the best movies ever. How MTM didn't win an Oscar for that is just beyond me. She gave me chills in that role and she was majorly playing against type.

5. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

This was the era where the Academy inexplicably accepted supporting-role nominations for actors who clearly had lead roles. I don't have time to go through IMDB right now, but Nicholson for Terms of Endearment (and he won) is another really-leading-role example that stands out.

Sutherland could have been nominated, but his was a supporting role, at best.

Hutton, who was great in Ordinary People, had a lead role. His struggle was the focal point of the film. It was in no way a supporting role. Had he been nominated for Best Actor, though, he would have had no chance with the Raging Bull DeNiro on the docket.

Moore, as Mizzou said, was terrific and chilling -- the complete opposite of characters she had played up to that point, something some critics doubted she could pull off -- but she was up against another legendary role: Sissy Spacek in Coal Miner's Daughter.

I've seen Ordinary People on lists of the worst Oscar-winning films, which is disappointing. I absolutely loved it.

6. Mizzougrad96

C. Thomas Howell was nominated for an Academy Award? Am I missing something here?

7. Mizzougrad96

Raging Bull should have won that year, but Ordinary People is still a tremendous movie.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm pretty sure which one has aged better.

Raging Bull didn't win in considerable part because it was Scorcese, who wasn't one of "them".

Fact that it was a sports picture didn't help, but Marty not being part of the Hollywood crowd cramped him in Awardland for a long, long time.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't even remember him being in the movie. Must have really been into character.

10. Mizzougrad96

11. Mizzougrad96

Ponyboy's first acting job was in E.T. according to the IMDB.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Great movie. I can't argue with the rest of the Best Actor nominees except for Jack Lemmon, which was probably more of a career thing.

"He needed it. You were always so hard on yourself...."

Draft saved Draft deleted