1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donald Sterling: I had never heard of Elgin Baylor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

In Baylor's employment discrimination lawsuit, Sterling says he had no idea he was a basketball HOF when he hired him:

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=6225692

Most interesting may be the name of Baylor's lawyer: Carl Douglas. I'm pretty sure he was one of O.J. Simpson's defense lawyers.

The race card might make him a one-trick pony, but apparently it's a lucrative trick when you pull in that kind of clientele.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That said, if Baylor was only getting paid $36K to be a GM in 1986 ... another reason to hate Donald Sterling, not that you needed any.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If he didn't know his basketball history, what made him hire him in the first place? Just that he was willing to work for sports writer money?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Sterling is either a goddamn idiot or a goddamn liar, likely both.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Any jury that doesn't find Baylor fireable on his team's record is as ****ed-up as the O.J. jury.

Age discrimination? No, bad-results discrimination.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Donald Sterling is the sleaziest non-criminal I can think of. But if he offered Baylor $36,000 to be an NBA general manager and Baylor took the job, how is that Sterling's fault? Same with all subsequent pay.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I think you have the wrong Carl Douglas.

[​IMG]

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What amazes me the most about Sterling is that David Stern, with all his evil power, hasn't convinced him to sell the team or come up with some reason why he should be stripped of his ownership.

It's probably a conspiracy to make sure the Lakers are the only good team in town. :D

9. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

3-pointer and a +1.

10. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

If somebody starts a worst song by decade we have the 70's covered.

Knew a guy back then who adopted it as his song. It'd come on the jukebox and he'd dance to it. Had a routine all worked out. I'm not real happy I remember this.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That's not among the 100 worst songs of the 70s.

Remember, that was the decade which produced "Disco Duck."

12. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

We need to do a Vulcan Mind Meld and you'll see the dance and agree with me.

Draft saved Draft deleted