1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Donaghy: 2002 NBA Playoffs series fixed

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zebracoy, Jun 10, 2008.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I already noted the poor officiating. In both games five and six. See, game five was crap too, though not to the same level.

And there wouldn't have been a deciding Game Seven if the Kings hadn't choked away Game Four. If, if, etc. Hell, there wouldn't have been a 1998 Game Seven if Reggie Miller gets called for a push on Jordan late in Game Six.

I love it: since he's latched onto a game many hated in an effort to save his own ass, now NBA fans are saying, "Donaghy has CREDIBILITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Honestly, Stoney. If it's true, oh well. They still choked away game seven. At home.

2. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Whoa. That Lakers-Kings game was the only time I remember not just thinking the refs blew some calls but honestly thinking they were throwing the game intentionally. It'll be fun to see how Stern deals with this. Maybe Donaghy is throwing out a bunch of bull to help himself, but, as has been said already, anyone who watched that game as neither a Kings nor Lakers fan had to question whether the refs threw the game.

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Has anybody watched the broadcast of the game tonight? Have the stakeholders/broadcasters mentioned this thing yet?

4. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I've certainly heard a lot about conspiracy theories in the NBA playoffs, but they always had to do with the NBA wanting to get the team that generates higher TV ratings further. And I heard one about David Stern wanting to stick it to Mark Cuban in the '06 finals.

Is Donaghy saying that Kings-Lakers game was fixed for gambling purposes?

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Actually I see most here acknowledging that his credibility is suspect. And that's my opinion too.

The fact that it's such a notorious game cuts both ways: if you wanted to make up a claim of a fixed game that folks would believe, that's among the first ones everyone would think of.

He could be lying. But it's still a huge story. King fans are gonna run ape-shit with this.

6. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Jose Canseco wasn't thought to be telling the truth either.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Stephen A. Smith on the allegations: "I stand with David Stern and the league office when they say this thing is one rogue referee, that there is no factual evidence whateover that would indict anybody else. We should take it just as that until evidence comes tli glitht that proves otherwise."

Nothing wrong with proclaiming innocent until proven guilty. But do you really want to say, "I stand with David Stern and the league office" on anything if you're a reporter?

8. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

When you're a one dimensional reporter whose livelihood relies on a game in question, you best believe it would come out ones mouth.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Donaghy's stuff about being told to by Stern and co. lay off the star players is pretty explosive, too.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Stern: "Wilt Chamberlain never fouled out of a game. You gonna blame me for that, too?"

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Outstanding point

12. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Absolutely, huge story, as I said. It just won't affect the record books, and it was only one variable in the outcome of that series.

Let Kings fans go apeshit. They need SOMETHING to cling to.

Besides that 2001-02 Pacific Division Champions banner, of course.

Draft saved Draft deleted