1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don West greatest hits: The 'Gem! Mint! Ten!' guy

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TheHacker, Nov 3, 2007.

1. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Who doesn't remember this guy? You'd come home at midnight or 1 in the morning after finishing the paper and turn on the TV and this guy is on the home shopping channel RAVING at the top of his lungs about the INSANE deals they're giving you. 200 ROOKIES! GEM! MINT! TEN!

And then there was that other guy who was with him, who was like Teller to Don West's Penn Jilette. He said nothing. And why was there always a third guy on the phone helping them hawk the cards? Why wasn't he in the studio with them? You were so tired you just sat there in a trance and watched it. Remember?

http://www.catsandbeer.com/television/the-10-most-controversial-don-west-comments-a-definitive-list

http://www.donwest.org/

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

He's now a lunatic pro wrestling commentator for Total Nonstop Action Wrestling based out of Orlando, Fla. He's the worst, most irritating commentator ever.

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

One of my friends used to call and say he didn't believe the cards were real, only to watch Don or his staffers turn the cards over for him on live tv. "Someone said they didn't believe these were real!"

I loved the drunken nights watching this, making up our own deals. "I've got Dave Dravecky's other arm. Don't ask me how I have it, but I do!" or "I've got Sean Elliot's brother's other kidney!"

4. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

He single-handedly ruined the finances of many a Mark McGwire buyer in the late 90s. I'lll never forget calling my dad and telling him we NEEEDED to buy three gem mint 10 McGwire 85 Topps RCs....

Worth pennies on the dollar now...

GRIFFEYS!!!! GRIFFEYS! THIS IS INSANE! GRIFFEYS!

I loved this guy...

5. An old roommate and I spent hours watching this guy and laughing our asses off. Even better than "GEM! MINT! TEN!" were when someone would call in claiming they pulled eight Griffey rookies out of a box they bought. Don West is all like "Did you hear that? Robert in Dayton, Ohio pulled...not one! Not two! Not three! Not four! Not five, six, or seven! EIGHT! EIGHT! GRIFFEY! ROOKIES!"

The only thing that comes even close to Don West are the knife and sword guys that are now on in the middle of the night.

6. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

I was always wondered why anyone would needs 25 razor sharp knives.

Draft saved Draft deleted