1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don Shula + *Unbeaten Pats = Sour Grapes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

That's part of this, I'm sure.

He also detests Belichick, I'm sure, because he is a Saban pal.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

"Paging Dr. Johnson. Dr. Johnson to Etymology, stat!"

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

True. NFL Network had a show recently on the top 10 weather games, and the snowplow game was one. Shula was interviewed and he hasn't lost a drop of venom over it.

4. Can't say I blame him for that one. They got shafted.
    SI or somebody did a "Where is he now" story a few years ago on the snowplow guy. It was pretty interesting.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

He's not dead, Mark Henderson?

6. Like I said it was a number of years ago.

Now that you mention it, I think one of the pregame shows (more recently) tried to find Henderson and was unsuccessful.

7. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Everyone in New England thought he had died, so when the "Where Are They Now?" story came out (and the answer wasn't "in a coffin"), it came as quite a surprise.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Perhaps the Dolphins can sip their champagne out of this:

[​IMG]

I am so sick and tired of hearing from these clowns every single year. If anything, the low rent celebration when the last unbeaten loses is tarnishing their reputation. Instead of being remembered as an unbeaten NFL team, they might be remembered more as a bunch of petty individuals who take joy in seeing others fail.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Dolphins were a great team in their era (a very brief era, sandwiched between the last gasp of the Unitas Colts and the rise of the Steelers) and nobody disputes that.

But now, since they insist on comparing themselves to the teams of today, it's time to quit kid-gloving them, making allowances for advances in nutrition, training, equipment, etc etc etc.

How would the Dolphins, with 265-pound offensive linemen and linebackers running 5.5 40s, fare against the Patriots or the Colts or another of the top teams of 2007? They'd get nuked off the field by seven touchdowns, that's how they'd fare. Hell, the 1972 Dolphins, transported by time machine into 2007, would lose by three touchdowns to the WORST team in today's NFL.

The Dolphins are old men who were great in their day. They should leave it at that, or else get dumped over the head with a cold bucket of reality.

10. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Henderson was brought to a game during the final season of the old Foxboro Stadium (2001), and was honored as part of 40 years of memories for the stadium. Pretty sure they had him drive a plow onto the field during one of the last regular-season games.

When he was there, media people told him there had long been rumors about his demise. He said he had heard those stories floating around. When asked why he didn't contact anyone to say the rumors were false, he said it wasn't his job to get in touch with the media.

11. Shula and that stupid Dolphins team have been acting like jackasses about that undefeated season for years. He knows that is the crowning moment in an overrated career.

I hope the Patriots bitch-slap the Dolphins by 60 next time they meet.

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

If Shula wanted to say something that would motivate the Patriots to make sure they win the rest of their games, he just said it.

Draft saved Draft deleted