1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don Shula + *Unbeaten Pats = Sour Grapes

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Nov 6, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I am neither a Patriots or Dolphins fan.

But should the 2007 Pats finish unbeaten, I will be forever grateful that they erased the 1972 Dolphins from the record book. How pathetic a group they are, acting as if another unbeaten team will downgrade their accomplishment. It won't. In fact, it would spark discussion about which team is more impressive.

Instead, the 1972 Dolphins sneer and snark and swallow champagne when a team loses. They're the losers.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Just think how arrogant Boston fans will be in 35 years when they take over from the Dolphins and they're popping champagne after each team loses (yes, it'll be the fans doing it along with old-man versions of Brady, Bruschi and Belichick, because Boston fans are special).

3. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

I swear I saw an article a few years back that had a picture of players actually toasting with champagne after the last undefeated team fell. God, I wish I could find it.

And the ease of that schedule cannot be overstated. No playoff teams; one team that finished with a winning record, the 8-6 Chiefs.

The 1973 Dolphins were a better team.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Much better.

In nine years (1971-1979), it was the Dolphins or Steelers in the SB for the AFC in seven of them.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That's exactly the discussion they don't want. The primary reason the 72 fins accomplished what no other champ could was a lucky schedule draw, they happened to get a really soft one that year, and even then they stumbled through with a couple one or two point regular season nailbiters and three very close post-season games. In truth, they were nowhere near as dominant as the 85 Bears, 89 49ers, and a few others over the years.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Those Dolphins had their entire run in the early part of thne decade, then lost dudes to the upstart league whose name escapes me at this moment.

And whoever reached the Super Bowl in the 1970s often beat the Raiders in the AFC title game.

7. vecsey

vecsey Member

It's a floor polish AND a dessert topping ...

I've got no problem with the old Dolphins clinking some glasses amongst themselves. It reminds me of old war buddies who get together once a year to remember their pals ... sports is so fractionalized these days, I actually like to be reminded that some teammates form lifelong bonds. The real test of their character will come only when another team goes unbeaten.

HOWEVER ...

Shula's nuts on two counts: 1. The video thing happened in Week 1. It's not like the Pats won seven or eight games and then got busted. And 2. They beat the JETS in Week 1! If Shula thinks the Pats need spyware to beat the Jets, well, then he's just not paying attention to this season. If they get busted spying on the Colts, maybe you have a case for a tainted season.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There was no free agency in 1972. Thus, no need for a salary cap. So the two cancel each other out.

In 1972, you won because you drafted the best players and built a team through intelligence and, occasionally, some luck.

And that's exactly how you win today.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Dude.... If you have an A in a class and cheat on a little quiz, you can be expelled.

So what if it was the opener against the Jets?

That's not germane to the point.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey Shula, if you aren't remembered for coaching the unbeaten 72 Dolphins, at least you'll be remembered for ushering in waves of successful head coaches who lack a personality. Thanks for that.

11. Turbo

Turbo Guest

I don't understand the asterisk talk. The Patriots were caught spying in Week 1 - a game they won handily. Presumably, the NFL put a stop to that after Week 1. So the Patriots have been playing by the rules almost all season.

12. Simon_Cowbell

"Almost"

What a rationalizing piece-of-crap country we have become.

Draft saved Draft deleted