1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don Imus settles: Boomer Esiason and Craig Carton replaces him at WFAN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Litle known Charlie Steiner fact - and one that will amuse Boom -- he grew up two blocks from Big Pink, the house in which The Band was, at the time, gestating, and producing not only MFBP but The Basement Tapes. The music makes sense.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

That's a great little piece of trivia Fenian. Charlie does love his music. I've never met him but he seems like a very likeable person. He seems to have no problem getting writers to come on his show. Its a very topical informative baseball show.

3. Charlie's one of the few people in the biz that I don't believe has ANY enemies. That "Follow me to freedom!" ESPN ad? Pure Charlie.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

Unfortunately, he has one...
    See Sterling, John.

5. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

Carlin is good, we're familiar with his work on WFAN, but Kim Jones in morning drive was a revelation. Smart, knowledgable, funny and very quick. She's wasting her time asking post game questions on YES, she should go to radio full time, she's great.

I can't disagree more on Carl Banks, totally useless. Brings the "what goes on here stays here" mentality of the locker room with him. He refused to talk about steroids and athletes, saying it's none of his business and he doesn't want to contribute to the witch hunt. F*ck him, that's your job when you're a radio host.

6. That's a proud distinction right there.

7. Boom_70

Based on Cranes survey it sounds like WFAN made a good decision on Boomer:

Here is answer to question - who would you rather listen to:

Imus. He has been my choice for a long time and I will follow him.

54.0%

Esiason. I am happy WFAN has returned to sports in the morning.

13.8%

8. Boom_70

Revelation is the word for the work that Kim has done om WFAN.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Enormous mistake by WFAN. I think this will turn out about as well as the Esiason-Michaels pairing did on MNF.

Esiason is tolerable - tolerable - in short bursts on a subject he knows something about, football. As a general host...

Very surprised. I might have to tune in once the Good Ship Boomer starts taking on water. As Al Michaels found out, no potential object of scorn and blame is immune once Boomer (and his ratings) starts tanking.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

What did Boomer say about Al that wasn't true?

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I noticed from his brief tryout that Boomer has very thin skin, and is not quick witted. So his comebacks to good natured ribbing come off as unfunny & mean. That's fine for most professions, but a very bad attribute for morning radio.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Boomer's the ultimate example of a jock who thinks because he's a blonde who played QB in New York,
    we should all fall down in adoration.

Guess again, Norman.

Draft saved Draft deleted