1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Don Imus settles: Boomer Esiason and Craig Carton replaces him at WFAN

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by boots, Aug 14, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

The airwaves will never be the same.
    NEW YORK — Don Imus has reached a settlement with CBS over his multimillion-dollar contract and is negotiating with WABC radio to resume his broadcasting career there, according to CBS and a person familiar with the negotiations.
    Imus and CBS Radio reached a settlement that would pre-empt the dismissed radio personality’s threatened $120 million breach-of-contract lawsuit, CBS spokesman Dana McClintock said Tuesday.
    WFAN, the New York radio station that was Imus’ flagship, also announced Tuesday that former NFL quarterback Boomer Esiason will take over the morning time slot along with Craig Carton, a New Jersey radio personality.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I don't know who the other guy was, but he's probably no worse than Boomer was. Carlin & Kim Jones weren't bad locally.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

W-A-B-C! DING! ;D

W-A-B-C newstime 7 minutes before the hour!

4. Boomer in the morning? The Curt Schilling of semi-accomplished NFL quarterbacks?
    Jesus god, no.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I agree. I don't know the other guy but Boomer is fucking brutal.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

No need to make everything political. Boomer's problem wasn't his leanings, it's his suckiness.

7. As is Schilling's.
    Two guys who have no concept of the limits of their intellects.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

man, i've always had great like for norman esiason, but why WFAN feels he and the nobody with him can carry morning drive beats me. who wonders what boomer will have to say about anything outside of football?

a.m. drive has to be about more than helmets. imus will kick norman's butt if if he lands on WABC. the folks at FAN must be cringing. :eek: :eek: :eek:

9. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Good. Now Imus can land at another station. Not sure if its WABC though, they have Curtis and Kuby and I think they are happy with that. Boomer is ok, but can you see him interviewing Jeff Greenfield, or Frank Rich.

Oh and if Imus does come back and doesn't bring back Bernie, he is a scumbag.

10. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I'll take option C.

11. Carton is despicable. I'm surprised the FAN hired him. Here is a little more about him from Wikipedia, and you'll see what I mean:

Born in New Rochelle, New York in 1969, Carton attended New Rochelle High School, during which time he worked on the cable television show "Views From the Bridge." In 1991, Carton graduated from the S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications at Syracuse University with a bachelor's degree in broadcast journalism. After a year-long stint at Cleveland's 1100 WWWE (now WTAM), he worked as a sports radio talk show host at WIP-AM (610) in Philadelphia for three years in the mid-1990s. On February 28, 1997, Carton reported on air that Eric Lindros, an ice hockey player with the Philadelphia Flyers, had missed a recent game because he was hung over after drinking too much the previous night. Carton further alleged that the Flyers had lied to cover up Lindros' behavior by claiming that he had been unable to play due to a sore back. Within days, on March 5, 1997, the Flyers filed a libel suit against WIP-AM and its parent corporation. The station immediately decided that it would not attempt to mount a defense against the Flyers' claims that libel had been committed, and instead agreed to issue an on-air apology and pay an undisclosed sum of money as compensation. Carton coincidentally departed the station shortly thereafter, eventually leading to his second career in non-sports-oriented radio.

Carton is married (wife Kim), with three children.

His broadcasting philosophy: "Keep it real and get a reaction, whether you make them laugh, or you make them cry, or you make them happy or you make them sad. Be relevant. We're the most relevant show in the state."

Oddly enough, Craig Carton is not a resident of New Jersey.

12. part-timer

part-timer Member

Carton is an idiot. He also made idiotic comments about post-partum depression and took a couple of shots at then-NJ Govenor Richard Codey's wife.
    Russo will no longer have the title as resident idiot at WFAN.

Draft saved Draft deleted